Richard Woods Flica 34' plywood/epoxy Build

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mariobrothers88, Dec 14, 2020.

1. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Thanks gonzo!! Do you also recommend I precoat the wood with the bondo polyester resin prior to glueing it?

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

There is no need. The bondo will be a lighter hold than thickened epoxy. The thickened epoxy woukd require grinding the block off or removing it with a bar will break the concrete.

Eother way will work. It all depends on what bond strength you want. The epoxy method with precoating the wood versus the polyester is ablut 5 times stronger.

For a temp jig, polyester bondo will he fine. For a jig mesnt to be in place for a yesr, I go epixy.

3. mariobrothers88

mariobrothers88 Senior Member

Thanks Fallguy! But sorry I'm a little confused, are you saying there is no need for precoating the wood, or no need for mixing the bondo polyester resin with a filler like chopped/ milled fiber? These blocks will be holding up the bulkheads. I plan to mix the bondo polyester resin with milled fiber but I don't plan to precoat the wood blocks. Do I have that right?

Thanks again to everyone for all the amazing input I really appreciate it!!!

4. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

If you are using these to support bulkheads; just use epoxy and some silica. A bit wetter mix like cake batter about 1.5 silica to resin by volume. So 6 oz resin and 9 oz silica.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.