building an FRP barge in sections

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sailfaiz, Jan 25, 2008.

1. sailfaiz

sailfaiz Junior Member

i have a couple of questions regarding fiberglass construction -first of all is it possible to build a 30m fiberglass barge? ive never seen one before. another question is, once the barge is built it will be cut into 6m section and transported elsewhere, where is will be rejoined and reinforced where is was cut. is that possible? wont it loose its structural integrity once cut? if it is possible how much reinforcing will be required and what would the procedure be. is 15mm thickness for the hull good enough for a barge of that size? where can i find structural design guidelines- eg recommended frame spacing, size of stiffeners, BH thickness etc based on the size of this barge?

thanks

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sailfaiz, your request requires the services of an NA. The desire for a sectioned 93' barge will necessitate considerable engineering and clever solutions, most of which will need calculation and substantial thought by the designer. Though possable, FRP wouldn't be my first choice, steel would be, as its cost effectiveness in this displacement, range and inherent strength would out perform a 'glass barge section, easily and likely be considerably cheaper to construct, particularly as a "one off" build. Designing it from the outset to be "sectioned" for disassembly, would also make more sense if this was to occur more then once. If not, then welding her back up could be arranged.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.