restoring a fiberglass kayak

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by cnu, Apr 9, 2006.

1. cnu

cnu New Member

Hi,

I'm new to the whole boating thing and have recently acquired a tatty old kayak. I have decided that I want to fully restore the kayak so that I can make use of it. I realise this is a huge undertaking considering I don't know anything yet. I was hoping that this would be a good place to get advice and information of how I can repair the damage.

I am developing a website to document restoration process, this is currently in it's early stages and there aren't many pictures on there yet. If anyone wants to have a look and offer any advice, or even just tell me what type of canoe it is (I think it's a sea kayak, but not sure). Here's a link to the site:
    http://www.oodboo.co.uk/cnu

If this is not the right subforum or even website to be asking for advice on a kayak then please accept my appologies without the need to flame me. And if you could point me in the right direction that would be a great help.

Thanks

Adam

2. JEM

JEM Senior Member

Your site says:

"Before I started this I didn't know what gelcoat was, I initially thought I could just sand it down and paint it. After the little bit of research I've done so far, it isn't going to be that simple."

It could be that simple. You'd have to remove all the gel coat which looks like there isn't much left anyway.

For repair, and man do you have plenty of it, using epoxy might be easier for you to use instead of polyester or vinylester. It'll be easier to mix smaller batches.

3. Grantman

Grantman Junior Member

Easier to mix small amounts? It much easier to mix small amounts of Polyester than Epoxy IMHO. Also you need to sand each coat of epoxy before the next because of blush. Stick with polyester laminating resin (if indeed your kayak was originally built from polyester) for the repair work, then coat it with polyester surfacing resin. Poly will be the less expensive way to go too. Paint the hull.

4. JEM

JEM Senior Member

You do not need to sand between coats if you apply the additional coats within 24-48 hours. There are also non-blushing epoxies.

Polyester has a hard time sticking to itself when wet let alone cured to polyester or vinylester. Also absorbs much much water over time. Manufacturers that still use poly have the mindset that poly is good enough if it's sealed properly. Repairing a kayak in this state is not sealed properly.

Epoxy will provide a much superior bond, no nasty fumes, and no trouble having it shipped. Poly and vinyl (or maybe just one of the parts) are considerd hazmat.

5. Grantman

Grantman Junior Member

Yes, epoxy will get a better bond, but Poly will provide a good enough bond for what he is doing. He's just learning. Why spend a ton on expensive epoxy when he doesn't really need it for what he is doing?

If he was building a new boat I'd say epoxy could be worth the price. Do you know of the hazards of epoxy? They can be worse than poly!

6. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

go with a good poly resin unwaxed this will let u lay up without having to sand between layers build the repair area up with lots of glass .then brush a coat of resin with air dry wax added to it this will aloww the glass to sand easy with out the paper guming up u can also use a thin skim of body fill instead .start off with forty grit papeer at high speed and shape the glass to the orginal shape by doing this the repair is fikked with glass and not a filler. if your happy fill in any pin holes ang regell the area or if i was you i go and make a deal with a paint shop and get them to paint it for you or do it your self.one thing u will notice in this form is the amount of people that say u have to use epoxy poly or vinal is good enough for what u are doing if the boat is made from poly use poly once the area is sanded and clean it will bond