transom modifying help

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Bottoms-uP, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Bottoms-uP

Bottoms-uP Junior Member

could someone with experience tell me if im heading in a safe direction with this build ( copied from my other post)

found pics of a 1979 arabian which is same colour and setup as mine( but in much much better shape) so this will give an idea of how i wanna convert it
    the ouside view
    [​IMG]
    current seat setup (i will be changing the layout a bit)
    [​IMG]
    there is a platform over the engine bay which i will be removing as it will become wasted space and i will then move the seats back to about 1 foot away from the transom
    [​IMG]
    now here is where i need opinions cuz im really not sure if it'll work or not
    i wanna cut cut out whats mark in red on the next picture to give my outboard some room to tilt for when its out of the water
    do you think it'll work or should i do something different.... i plan on stopping the cut where the little step is on the pic as ive got the same thing on mine and im thinking ill be able to get a nice clean finish that way
    [​IMG]

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

If you intend to take out the sterndrive and fit a outboard in its place have you thought about mounting the motor on a bracket and pushing it back 12 or 18 inchs !! It could possiblyeven fit between the boading plateforms on each side that are already there and bolt to the transom when you fill the hole where the stern drive is now !!, then theres no need to do any mods to the aft end !!:confused: :p :D :p

3. Bottoms-uP

Bottoms-uP Junior Member

the plan is to cut the area marked in red so i can mount the outboard where the lil step is usin a jack plate, but i will need some room to tilt the motor for when im gonna trailer it. im just doing a very small budget build with this so i dont wanna spend 500$ for a bracket that will move the engine back 12 inches

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Did you measure the outboard's shaft length and the space required to turn the engine 45 degrees left and right?
    Looking at the proposed cut-out it doesn't seem large enough, too high and too far away from the transom's outer surface.