Who Is Their Travel Agent?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Chris Ostlind, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Besides the fact that the effort of these two youngs guys just flat-*** knocks me out... I'm really impressed by the design of this double kayak they are using for this very difficult paddling expedition from Australia to New Zealand.

http://www.crossingtheditch.com.au/index.html

Chris Ostlind

Attached Files:

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Wow !!!

Glory be. A kayak with an aft cabin, solar panels, and other sophisticated looking stuff.

I've always had a notion that Aussies are crazy what with Aussie 18s, C cats and such. All the while I have admired them for their creativity and ingenuity. This one is near the top of the creative list.

The ditch is not a friendly place for small boats but if these guys are as clever as they seem they'll make it. Let all us lesser mortals cross our fingers and wish them safe passage.

3. BWD

BWD Senior Member

that hose pipe may prove handy should they be troubled by drunken sailors... ;)

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

No matter what you may think of the objectives these guys are looking to achieve, they have stepped-up to the business of mounting their strategy through a concerted effort that includes: engaging a caring and qualified designer, having the craft built by a solid firm, mapping the route and making sure they are personally ready for the journey.

As a guy who has done a few serious kayaking journeys, my hat is off to these guys. I wish them full success in their efforts and hope that they are soon in Auckland, partying their asses off with friends and family.

Chris

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

This statement is in stark contrast to some irresponsible efforts featured here in the past: "Before endangering the lives of rescue service personnel, appropriate government authorities have been approached to identify what safety equipment and provisions must be carried on board to satisfy each significant risk in a detailed and formal manner."

A very professional effort. Today's message noted that the solar-powered desalinator had given up, "bummer", but they will just have to work the backup manual pump unit. Make it or not, these guys have earned praise for the care and thoroughness of their preparations. Best wishes for success!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.