Affordable good rendering software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johan, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Johan

Johan New Member

I am an amateur boatdesigner that can handle autocad but wants to create a pretty picture. What is good rendering and affordable (multihull) design software ? And where can I get it second hand ?

Johan

2. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

You can search this forum, but I think Rhino is better than AutoCAD for hull design, and then you can use Flamingo as a renderer. For low cost yacht design programs (including multihull?) try out NavalDesigner and Prolines.

3. ludesign

ludesign Senior Member

4. CGN

CGN Senior Member

Rhino will be your best bet, use rhinoman, BMRT2.6 or 3Delight you will have a "free renderer" very capable and probably better than flamingo (image quality), do not use flamingo renderer, if you are looking for "cheap" alternatives, Blender and GMAX w/milkshape3D (Gmax Free, Milkshape to get your model out of GMAX), this will do what you want, it will take some time to learn them but...."free" is unbeatable (except milkshape3D), do a search on the internet about this programs there is a lot of resources.

if you decide to invest some money , then:

Rhino3D/Rhinoman
    XSI foundation (killer option)
    Look for Carrara V2 in the internet (I pay for it $85 dlls) and after few jobs I upgrade to Carrara V4 pro

and have a look at Shade 7 standard.

good luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.