Rhinoceros (About unrolling commands)

Discussion in 'Software' started by honer827, Jan 24, 2013.

1. honer827

honer827 Junior Member

Hi everyone;

I am trying to nest a sailing boat's deck plates and shell expansion plates. There is non-developable plates (curves in 3 dimensions) So which command is more useful than other? I guess there is three options : Unroll, Smash and squish ?

2. honer827

honer827 Junior Member

material of sailing boat is aluminium.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Squish http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/squish.htm

UnRollSrf http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/unrollsrf.htm

Smash http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/smash.htm

McNeel recommends using Squish rather than Smash. Squish is newer and provides more controls including how the surface will distort when it flattens. Also Squish has the associated SquishBack and SquishInfo commands.

From McNeel's website: http://wiki.mcneel.com/labs/advancedflattening

Rhino 4.0 has:

• UnRollSrf - makes a flat pattern from 3-D developable (curved in one direction) surfaces. Always use this command first. If it fails, then try Squish.

• Smash - is a special version of UnRollSrf that does not check to see if the surface is developable. It is not recommended now that Squish is available.

• Squish new - makes a flat pattern from a 3-D non-developable (curved in two directions) surface or polygon mesh. In general, try UnRollSrf first.

Experiment. Try flattening the same surface using the different commands, and different settings within Squish.

4. honer827

honer827 Junior Member

Thank you for answer David. In your opininon, which one is more safe while nesting aluminium plates ? I am scaring in case plates wont fit.

5. honer827

honer827 Junior Member

This is deck plates of my sailing. And ı squished some plates. Do you think that this is true?

Attached Files:

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

What method will be used to make the flat plates conform to the compound curvature surface?

7. honer827

honer827 Junior Member

ı used "squish" command. Was this answer of your question? Maybe ı underdtand wrong your question.

8. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

When the boat is actually built from aluminum, how will the flat aluminum plates be formed so that they conform to the compound surface?

9. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

It should be very simple...
    Before "Squishing" just divide the surface according to the plate distribution you want using "Split" command...
    Then go for squish....
    the plate will be of course fitted nicely... I did it practically by myself...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.