rhino3d 2.0 ghs data export

Discussion in 'Software' started by pavel915, Dec 8, 2006.

1. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

dear all,
    I dont understand one thing,
    in the rhino3d 2.0 user manual , it is written that, it support exporting GHS data, and in the export menu also there is the gf file in the list. so why I can not export ghs data from it? I really wonder. will you please clarify this thing to me?

2. Steve Baer

Steve Baer Rhino Developer

Hi Pavel,
    Are you not getting a gf file at all or is the gf file not readable by GHS? The RhinoV2 GHS file exporter was not great, but it should at least give you something (I completely rewrote it for V3 and V4).
    Thanks,
    -Steve

3. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

yes, for version 2.0 i can export gf file;;;;; it is not being read by archimedis,
    why this is happening?
    is there any solution of it?

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Make sure you're using the latest version of ArchimedesMB.

There were problems with GHS import in early versions. The new GHS import routine in AMB is probably (though I can't say for sure) based on a converter I e-mailed to John at AMB to solve the origenal import problem.

The later versions should be ok, but I can't say I extensively tested my converter before e-mailing it.

Tim B.

5. Steve Baer

I also wrote a free application a while back called Deadweight that you could use to open and look at your GHS geometry files.

www.deadweight.com

This might help you figure out where the problem lies.

Thanks,
    -Steve

6. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

very nice..... I can open the ghs files by deadweigh,,,,, which was not opened by archimedes. But how can i can see the hydrostatics and stability information by deadweight????
    please tell me..

@ tim B ,,, I downloaded archimedis just a few days ago,,, is it not the latest version??? it is the version 2.1.3.0

7. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Should be the latest version. Could you e-mail John Macsween (his e-mail is somewhere on the AMB site) and inform him of the problem?

Tim B.

8. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

I wonder that,,,,,, I can import ghs in in deadweight but not it archimedes,
    where is the problem? in rhino version 2??? or in archimedes????? one thing have to remember that is when i export ghs from rhino 3.0 evalutation version it is readable in archimedes,,,,,,,, It really looks strange for me.

9. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

by deadweight,,,, can we calculate stability and hydrostatics like archimedes?

10. Steve Baer

Hi Pavel,
    Deadweight is just a file viewer and it will even read invalid GHS geometry files. I was just recommending that you try taking a look at your model with this software to make sure the GF isn't completely messed up.

The GHS file exporter from Rhino3 is completely different code than the GHS file exporter in Rhino2. I would expect the results to be different.

Thanks,
    -Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.