Catamrans in Free!ship/Delftship

Discussion in 'Software' started by eponodyne, Aug 19, 2007.

1. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

After doing a little poking around in these forums, I went ahead and downloaded/installed Free!ship2.6 and DELFTship.

Y'all weren't lying when you talked about a steep learning curve! Freeship is certainly a lot more user-friendly (This has been my first few hours using ANY sort of CAD program) but still far from intuitive.

My question, should anone choose to answer it, is this: How do I morph the default round-bilge hull into half of a 20' catamaran with 20"-beam,warped-prism planing hulls and a center cockpit between the amas? Magic? Perseverence and the grace of God? Pencil and paper, or grease pencil on my monitor?

Seriously. I'm at a loss here. Any help/advice gratefully and graciously accepted.

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Get the first hull to be excatly how you want it first. So mostly perserverence with this. You get better with experience. You will need to do a <extension - transverse> of the stern edge to the centreline to close it up otherwise you will not get the hydrostatic date.

The mouse click buttons are handy. (From memory) Left click and hold then scroll or move up and down will zoom the image. Right click and hold and move the mouse gives a hand that enables you to move the image on screen. Being able to manipulate the image helps with detail.

Once you get your first hull close to what you want. You < transform move> the whole thing half the beam without connecting the points. This will give two separated half hulls. Now <transform mirror> the half hull about its centre line and you get two hulls.

I use the <insert cylinder> function to produce other structures. The cylinder can be pushed, poked and modified in any way but takes perserverence.

Rick W.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.