Autocad Layering system for boat design

Discussion in 'Software' started by h20land, Nov 13, 2008.

1. h20land

h20land Junior Member

Hi There: :)

Is there an autocad layering standard for boat design? If not, does anyone know of a reasonable layer naming system that can be applied to a plan set?
    :?: h20land

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I've never seen any evidence of a generally accepted standard for CAD layer structures, although there are definitely good and bad ways to do it.

Landlubber architects often like to use a separate layer for each of 200+ XREFs, with alphanumeric codes as names. Do NOT do this, as it drives anyone trying to view the drawing insane.

Keep it simple, keep it readable, keep it intuitive.

Perhaps some of the folks who do more drafting than I do can chime in?

3. h20land

h20land Junior Member

Thanks for your input Marshmat.
    As You guessed I am trying to keep it simple and logical.
    john

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I follow Marshmat's advice. I try to use as few layers as possible and make them intuitive and simple. My drawing template starts with:

BORDER
    Defpoints
    TEXT
    TITLEBLOCK

"0" and "Defpoints" are built in and I can't (don't want to) delete them. I will continue with layers such as:

DRAFTING
    GRID
    HULL
    DECK
    RIG
    INTERIOR

and etc., which get listed in alphabetical order. BORDER is for the drawing border. TITLEBLOCK is for the titleblock and other reference blocks that record the changes. I always draft in model space--never use paper space as it is simply overly complicated for what I do. DRAFTING is meant for construction lines that change continuously, and this layer is always turned off when I print or plot. All my notes and dimensions go on the TEXT layer. Sometimes I will separate the two and create a DIMENSIONS layer. GRID is for the drawing grid (station lines, waterlines, etc.) When I show my human figures on a drawing (their names are Jack and Diane), they are on the FIGURES layer.

Layers change from project to project, and uniformity amongst designers is not required. Gee, I don't even have uniformity from project to project, as I set them up as the design demands.

Eric

5. h20land

h20land Junior Member

Eric Sponberg, this gives me a good starting point. I guess
    I can embelish along this theme to suit the current project.
    thank you so much.
    john

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.