Rhino Query

Discussion in 'Software' started by amateur mariner, Mar 31, 2009.

1. amateur mariner

amateur mariner Junior Member

Can Rhino directly import offset table values and create the lines by itself?which software is best for this purpose?I heard Delftship can do it.

2. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

as far as i know.. u have to set point according to offset table values , then using curve need to draw lines ..
    delftship , model maker , or other can do only if ur offset table is in acceptable format ..

3. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

To paraphrase from another forum:

Rhino can import offsets in a number of formats. Points can be imported from a .txt file, for example. Here is an excerpt from the Rhino Help file:
    To open or import a point file:
    1. From the File menu, click Open or Import.
    2. In the dialog box, in the Files of type box, select Points File (*.asc; *.csv; *.txt; *.xyz).
    3. In the File name box, type a name for the file.
    4. Click Open.
    5. In the Points File Import Options dialog box, select the delimiter character and specify whether to create a point cloud object from the file.
    6. Click OK.
    Note: Point files must be in the form: x,y,z with no additional heading information at the top. The characters can be separated with a variety of characters and can be surrounded by quotation marks.

Also, remember that Rhino can also import DXF and IGES files with polylines. While it currently does not have a function to fit a candidate surface to a set of points, it does have the ability to "loft" surfaces through curve networks as well as to evaluate the deviation between a set of points and a surface.
    -----------
    It will not create curves from these points but you can use an interpolated curve and snap from point to point.

Joe

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. kvstone

kvstone New Member

there is a plug-in for rhino can do this work,but i forgot the name ,you can search for it

5. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

i need one info,. about rhino

suppose, i want to use a picture as a label of a bottle, how can i set the picture on the body of the bottle? which command?

thanks

6. aquform

aquform Senior Member

you can project a square on to the bottle to represent the label and then split the surface using the square...then go to properties....material....basic...texture..and select the bitmap you want to use as a label

7. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

You can write a script file to create the points or to use the points to generate curves. Then create your surfaces.

We have done this easily based on a csv (comma separated variable) export from excel and then add the CAD commands to that data with a text editor.

It's quite interesting to watch all the lines being drawn.

Cheers

8. amateur mariner

amateur mariner Junior Member

Can you explain this more for me

Cheers

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

10. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.