Urethane fabric digital print?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Rowaan, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Rowaan

Rowaan New Member

Hi,

I am researching urethane fabric for RIBs and was wondering if anyone has tried digital printing graphics onto urethane before assembling the tubes?

Does anyone know of a source for urethane fabric like strongan (in australia) -would like to get a sample and test it anyway.

Thanks for any advice,
    Rowan

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Rowaan, there used to be a firm called something like "superscan" that would print to fabric for big billboards & the tautliner fabric trucksides, they moved from Botany in Sydney to Qld maybe Logan city Goldcoast, they printed a map of the world for a fitout I did on a cat- it was installed as the headliner in the bridgdeck saloon. All the best from Jeff.

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
    The guys who do shrink-wrap ads for trucks and vans might be able to do this sort of printing. Some of them have software and equipment to print arbitrary designs on arbitrary 3D surfaces. I don't know if they can do other materials though.

4. Rowaan

Rowaan New Member

Thanks for the advice Waikikin and Marshmat. I have spoken with a signwriter and they're willing to give it a try using their solvent printer which can print onto most stock... now to get some urethane fabric to test.

Rowan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.