Freeship 2.6 How to get both halves of the transom into one piece

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2realbmx, Aug 5, 2017.

1. 2realbmx

2realbmx Junior Member

I'm trying to draw up a boat in freeship 2.6 and get some alum cut and then weld it myself.

but a lot of parts stay separated halves. the deck of my boat gives me two halves that are not even drawn against each other when I click develop plates. My transom halves are drawn against each other but it still gives me a centerline which would be cut. and then has to be welded together again.

I do have autocad 2007 but making one entity (part) out of two seems impossible there to.

I used this guide to draw in freeship 2.6
    Designing a jetboat with DelftShip http://www.jbnz.co.nz/yabbse/index.php?topic=25166.0

if any one could me a hint or any directions that would be really great.
    manny thanks in advance.

2. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Hi 2realbmx,

I'm by no means an expert with Freeship or cad, but I ran into similar issues working on my design and it turned out to be a couple different causes.
    Using the transom as an example, with the center line having a top and bottom data points, make sure that there is actually only one data point in each position (no duplicate points hiding right next to each other) and that the "Z" coordinate for each is 0. Also make sure that the center line is not designated as a "borderline".
    I hope this might help.....

I couldn't open the link you show in your post (it tells me that no page exists). Were the plans a download or just dimensions and data points to manually enter into Freeship?

Dave

3. 2realbmx

2realbmx Junior Member

I Have no idea why the link wont work.
    And I have no idea where to find if its borderline. Maybe you mean a crease edge ??
    One thing though. I thaught the z axis should be the height of the boat.
    I Tried to add 3 point, one by one. And keep two on the z axis at zero, and it seems to work. But I have no idea why my other model will show the other half mirrored over y axis then.

Maybe any one else can help us out here about what axis should be what.
    I thaught that z is the height, x the length and y the axis from left to right, or from starboard to the other side.

4. DSR

DSR Junior Member

My bad. You're absolutely right that the "Y" axis is the width. Sorry about that.
    I did also get the link to finally work and it looks like you manually entered the data points correct?
    Yes, the creased, or control edges that highlight in red are the borderlines.

5. 2realbmx

2realbmx Junior Member

So the centerline edge should not be red ??

6. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Yes, because it's not really an edge, or border, in the design.
    At least that's what I ran into with mine.
    It makes the program think it's a parting line for two separate pieces

7. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Also, while I'm thinking about it, when you export the design Into AutoCAD, does it separate the two halves of the transom or does it show as one piece with a center line?

8. 2realbmx

2realbmx Junior Member

it shows the transom as one part with a center line. I would like it to be without the centerline.
    But the deck comes in two parts which is even worse.
    I have no idea how to get an edge that is not red. If I put in 3 points and then add a new face. It gives me a red triangle, with 3 red edges. Selecting the centerline and pressing crease doesn't change anything.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  9. 2realbmx

2realbmx Junior Member

Been drawing for some time again. I now have a boat with a deck showing the same as my transom. But in autocad it's like it is one part with a center line but when selecting it apears to be two parts kind of shraring the same (center) line.

can it be drawn so it exports as one part in dxf ??

10. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Hi,

I haven't used AutoCAD so you'll have to bare with me.
    Can you highlight the faces of the transom and deck? If you can, does it show 2 faces (a face on either side of the center line), or does it show 1 face with the center line running through it? If it shows 2 faces in the programs that I've used, It can be modified by deleting the faces and center line and then create a new single face using the outside edges. If it shows one face, normally you can "dissolve" the center line to eliminate it. Again, I have never used AutoCAD, so I may be way off.
    Let me know what you find out.

Thanks
    Dave

11. 2realbmx

2realbmx Junior Member

Do you mean in autocad ?? I can select one or both sides, but i haven't succeeded redrawing the outside. I did remove the centerline on a transom. But the cad program they use in my job, could not open the file i ended up with.
    What cad program did you use to modify the dxf from freeship ??

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

13. DSR

DSR Junior Member

Hi there,

For my design I used Blender for the rendering and I exported it directly from Freeship using a Wavefront (.obj) file extension

14. 2realbmx

2realbmx Junior Member

Hey TANSL

Yes offcourse no prob. I see I can just upload a file here.
    the first is how it exported from freeship, the second one (#3) is what I made from it.
    But I can't cut sheets from this obviously.

Attached Files:

15. 2realbmx

2realbmx Junior Member

Here's my .fbm file for anyone who wants to have a crack at it. It is a freeship 2.6 .fbm file.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.