Delftship: questions re corrupt .fbm and backups.

Discussion in 'Software' started by NoEyeDeer, Aug 18, 2010.

1. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

I was just finishing up a hull in Delftship and something went wrong. Of course it would wait until I'm almost finished. No point going wrong earlier. Meh.

What happened is that the perspective, plan and profile views no longer work for that model. The bodyplan view sort of works. By that I mean it is fine in wireframe and all the controls work (selections, moving, etc, etc) but if I try to view it as zebra, shade or gaussian the rendering is a bit borked.

However, hydrostatics and resistance and all the rest still work so the entire control net is still in the fbm. It's just not displaying properly in most of the view windows. Tried restarting the app, of course. That didn't help.

Has anyone had this happen before and is there any known way of getting the other views back?

Next question: I dug around a bit and fortunately there's a .Bak file for that model, so I renamed it to .fbm and that works. It's about three hours old though and I've been working on the model for longer than that. So the question is at what point does Delftship create a new .Bak for each model?

2. magwas

magwas Senior Member

I believe it creates .bak when saving a new model.
    You can try to export it in a format which can be reimported, maybe it will fix things.
    I am using Freeship+ I would export it as a .fef, I don't know if there is support for that in delftship. You can try to export as 3d DXF, use a dxf->vrml converter and import it back as vrml.
    If you post the non-working model, it is easier to say something about it.

3. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Ok the borked file is attached. I've redesigned the thing anyway so it's not a worry, but I'm curious about the possibility of extracting something useful from files like this in case it ever becomes necessary. Oh and I am making my own backup copies of all work in progress now. Should have had enough sense to do that anyway. :)

Attached Files:

4. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

The scale is off somehow in everything but the bodyplan. I don't know how that happened. Hopefully Martijn will chime in here and give us a heads up as to what happened. I scaled the profile and came up with a tiny picture. If you look in the plan view or the profile view you will see that the X and Y changes as you move the cursor. It is moving in thousands and 10s of thousands of meters but the body plan is in only meters or decimals thereof. Can't help with a fix right now but I'll work on it to see what happened.

5. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Never mind...I found it.... You have a point at 65xxx on the x axis and this is causing the scale to be off. Zoom out on the profile until you see the point to the right then highlight and delete it. Then do a right click and zoom all in profile and plan to get your model back.

Edited to add...undo and redo are your friends...If you "bork" something up, try undo all the way back if necessary to get your model back. I bet you inserted a new point or went to move a point and forgot the decimal and that is when the views went blewy

Edited again. If you want to use the point, highlight it and put in 6.5 in the x coord. I think it is actually part of the boat itself...just off on it's own a ways.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010

6. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

Now how the hell did I do that? :D Thanks for spotting that. I thought the file might have gone and dropped something since I'm pushing the limits of my ram sometimes with this app. The odd thing is that point isn't part of the boat at all. Must have been up too late when I did that one. It all works now.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.