Rhino and Bottom longs

Discussion in 'Software' started by 3dig, May 5, 2005.

1. 3dig

3dig Junior Member

Hello! I am in need of a way to extrude a line that has been imbedded into a surface, perpendicular to said surface, throughout the line length. I am trying to create, both visually, and physically, logitudenal stiffening along a curved bottom plate. I need the "long" to extend vertically 90deg from the bottom at all times. anyone have experience with this issue? Ive established a workaround, but it isnt as accurate as Id like. Thanks in advance.

2. quicksail

quicksail Junior Member

Get the bonus tools. There is a command call extrude curve normal to surface. I suspect this is the command your looking for. Also, you could make two lines on the surface and a profile shape and extrude along two curves. Good luck with it.

3. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

assuming you want the top of the stringer parralell to the hull offset the hull surface inwards. use the surface normal in the lines menu, draw a few lines where you want the edges of the stringer, loft these curves to produce two surfaces parralell to each other but normal to the hull, then trim these surfaces until you have a top and two sides.

Generally, it is nice if stringers follow isoparms as much as possible.

Have fun,

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.