Rhino and flamingo nXt WIP

Discussion in 'Software' started by bhnautika, Oct 17, 2011.

1. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Rhino and flamingo nXt WIP Is there anyone else using this at the moment, I have been trying out the new flamingo for some time now and it seems to be able to produce pretty reasonable renderings straight out of the box with the use of the preset lighting and materials. The custom lighting has lost some functions but they may return in the finished product. Material handling has improved for those who like to make their own. There are some other functions, which will help if you want to photo shop after. I have done a few different renders to give an idea; these are as rendered with no post work in photo shop.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

nice work ! i will check too.

3. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I have been trying out Flamingo Nxt too. I've never done much in the way of rendering... mostly sticking to 2D stuff. I found it very easy to learn... I'm sure that those with a better grasp would manage to produce a more refined finished product, but I was pretty happy with what I was able to achieve.
    I found the most difficult part was getting good results for glass...
    BTW, I'm most btaken with the "bathing suit" that your model is wearing in the cockpit of the raised pilothouse yacht...!!;)

4. David White

David White Junior Member

Our machines are used in conjuntion with rhino, nxt and many more to cut almost any component. From kayaks, to ferries, to pirate hunting gun ships. Timber, aluminium, steel and fibreglass.
    www.advancedrobotic.com

5. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Zeroname thanks. yes have a look at it. I would be interested in what you think.

Will I would be interested in seeing some work. I found sometimes it’s the surrounding structures and reflected environment effects the way some of the glass materials react. The other thing I would be interested in trying out is the new imbedding of the material into a model so as they can be exported. The girl in that swim suit ( my wife didn’t like it! so it must be a boy thing) will be available along with some other boat related people models soon in the cad section as soon as I can get a few more posses and clothing together.

Attached Files:

6. Willallison

I hear what you are saying... my wife often fails to understand that yacht design is as much about art as it is about science too...;)

Sadly the only project that I've tried Nxt on is a 47 metre motoryacht, the details of which are confidential at this stage (at the request of my client), so I can't show you them...:( But you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be posting them as soon as I can!
    But I see you seem to have mastered it nicely! The problem I had was mainly in areas like the flybridge screen as shown in that latest image of yours.... No doubt I just need to fiddle with the settings some more.....Did you use the 'stock' materials given in Nxt? In the end, I actually found I got the best results with a tweaked version of the "plastic Dodger" material....

7. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Will the screen was made up of three surfaces, an in board surface which was a smooth clear glass with no “intensity “, Fresnel .5, sharpness .15 and full transparency with an “index of refraction” of 1.0 all others zero. The outer and edge surfaces were a copy of the clear but with a grey tint and a little bit of “translucency “at .02. I understand the confidentiality.

8. Willallison

:idea::idea: Multiple surfaces...I never thought of that!! I'll give it a try, thanks....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.