Maxsurf Surface Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by quicksail, May 4, 2005.

1. quicksail

quicksail Junior Member

I hope someone out there can help me. If you import a surface into Maxsurf can you manipulate it? I have a iges surface that I want to fair in Maxsurf. I cannot figure out how to get the control points to show up so that I can fair the surface. If anybody has some input that can help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Can you see the surface that reads in? Does it render OK in the perspective view? If so it has come in as a NURBS surface and you will be able to modify it.

Check that the surface is not locked (Surfaces menu->Surface Properties dialog). Also, it will probably come in as being assymetrical, you may also wish to turn on the symmetry option in the surface properties dialog.

Unfortunately a lot of surfaces coming from general purpose CAD programs are created by fitting to sectional data and have huge numbers of control points, making them hard to modify. If this is the case you may wish to generate a large number of markers and then fit a simpler surface to the marker data.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.