Rhino 4.0 to Maxsurf

Discussion in 'Software' started by 8wickj88, Dec 16, 2010.

1. 8wickj88

8wickj88 Junior Member

I'm having problems modifying an imported Maxsurf file into Rhino 4.0, and then exporting it back in order to carry out stability analysis in Hydromax. The problem stems from control points of the original model, which do not change when the object is modified. Any ideas?

Also there is a Hydromax equivalent for Rhino 4.0 - does anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
    James

2. Joe Petrich

Joe Petrich Designer

I am not familiar enough with Maxsurf/Hydromax to answer your question but Orca3D is a hydrostatics plug-in for Rhino and Creative Systems GHS will accept output from Rhino. GHS has modules for just about any sort of hydrostatics and stability analysis you might want to do.

3. 8wickj88

8wickj88 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll be on to it.

4. ACuttle

ACuttle Marine Design Engineer

Your problems may stem from the modifications you are doing in Rhino. Have you got more information on what you're doing?

Typically Maxsurf isn't a fan of trimmed and editted surfaces. Normally I try to finish all my maxsurf work before the model goes into Rhino.

5. 8wickj88

8wickj88 Junior Member

You were right the problems were stemming from the Rhino original control points - I imported a model from Maxsurf into Rhino, modified it, and exported it back (up till the end of last week!).

Now I've re-developed the model in Rhino so my hull is one network surface - seems to be running fine in Rhino and Orca 3D, but I haven't tried it in Maxsurf yet.

6. formsys

formsys formsys

7. 8wickj88

8wickj88 Junior Member

I will take a look at this site this evening.

Thanks very much,

James

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.