How to identify type of paint?

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by edincedar, May 28, 2005.

1. edincedar

edincedar New Member

I'm buying a steel boat that was originally primer painted grey under the waterline and primed and painted on the topsides (probably in 1990 or so). It has not been in the water and hasn't ever had antifouling paint. Is there a way to determine if it was epoxy primed, and how would I know if I should sandblast to metal and start over.

Ed

2. yipster

yipster designer

good question.
    how to identify type of antifouling i like to ad.
    info on antifouling primer welcome too.

3. BillyDoc

BillyDoc Senior Member

If you have a selection of solvents available, you could try them on "known" paint types to observe the effect, and on the primer you want to identify (in an unobtrusive place) to compare. Probably using a clean cloth with a little test solvent on it, and rubbing a test area to see if the cloth picks up the paint surface would suffice for testing purposes. Epoxy based products are fairly resistant to most solvents.

4. edincedar

edincedar New Member

Thanks for the ideas. Luckily I found all the original paint records since I posted the question.

Thanks again

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.