Reynolds 21 BEAMS???

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by soulofasailor, Sep 17, 2012.

1. soulofasailor

soulofasailor Junior Member

I would love to travel with my boat which i will when i have a place to go, but it would make my life allot easier if the Beams would allow the telescopic motion so i wouldn't have to take them off all the time!

Do any of you know of any design company that could make these for me? What would be the cost of this be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

It would add complexity and weight, neither a good thing for a catamaran. Usually involves tramp lacing work too, time consuming and a PITA. What about a tilt trailer like I've seen for some other overwide catamarans. This is the typical setup for a lot of Tornado cats.

The Reynolds size and weight I think make it a good candidate for that type trailer treatment, no mods to the boat, a good thing.

Another option might be what the Viva 27 did, which was hinge on the centerline. The boat would be trailered and launched folded and unfold in the water. I always that was a very simple and elegant design

Steve

Attached Files:

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A couple of hinges would be light weight.

4. soulofasailor

I just thought with all the technology and time the designers have put in over the years that there should be a better way for this design?:(

5. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

There is, and it's not necessarily a telescoping crossbeam and it might even be the trailer.

An articulated trailer means a performance boat that is weight sensitive and was not designed to be telescoping can remain intact and the necessary transport mods can be made to the trailer instead.

The compression loads on a crossbeam are pretty high, and I believe I see a dolphin striker on your forward beam. What are your plans for that?

Of course if you're sold that telescoping crossbeams are the way to go, then you have your answer. I was just suggesting a couple of "out of the box" tried and proven ideas.

Your post is only a few hours old, maybe give it some time?

Steve :cool:

6. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I'm assuming you are wider than legal highway travelling width as she sits on the trailer.Then the trailer modification is the way to go. The ideal system would require another frame sitting on top of the present frame with the pontoon cradle pieces fastened to this new upper frame. The new frame would be hinged on one side but have two jacking hardpoints on the opposite side. I would think a couple of those farm type bumper jacks we use when offroading with our Jeeps should provide lifting to tilt the whole assembly up and reduce travelling road width. In addition a couple of swing up and lock in jack stands should be easy enough to fabricate to put it all in travelling mode.
    A simple experiment of jacking up one side of your present boat/trailer combo should give you some idea how much you will have to tilt it all up to gain legal road width. A couple of friends working forkllift on a late night warehouse shift, ya that'll work. Becareful of the cameras :).---Geo.

7. Trailerprone

Trailerprone Junior Member

Resolved?

I just wondered if Soulofasailor ever resolved how to transport his R21? That dilemma is one of the things which kept me looking for a fixed width cat.

8. soulofasailor

No I just take beams off and push to hulls together. Im just doing it the way it was made to be done

9. Trailerprone

Trailerprone Junior Member

Plastic?

So do you use the plastic sprinkler pipe of same OD as the beams to tie it together for trailering?

10. soulofasailor

I have a 4 1/2 inch PVC pipe to go inbetween center of both hulls.

11. soulofasailor

Update 2018. Same setup changed rudders to Hobie 18 . Much better steering hobie system My rudder https://flic.kr/p/VTvaob

But not sure how long I will have her I want a corsair

fallguy likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.