Rewire of 15ft Fibre Glass

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by spartan117, Feb 15, 2009.

1. spartan117

spartan117 New Member

Hey All,

Got my first boat. A 15ft Fibre Glass Runabout with a pull start outboard.

It was a 3/4 finished project which requires the lights and any suggested gauges to be installed and wired up.

Im thinking......

1 - Safety (Masthead, Stern, Port and Starboard) lights on 1 switch.
    2 - Internal cabin light
    3 - Front facing Spotlight
    4 - Battery power gauge

What are your recommendations or instructions on the simplest way to get this done.

Item 2
    As the load is not huge should, I invest in a marine or normal car battery??

Thanks heaps

2. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

Item 2:

Marine batteries are made to be "spill-proof" to a higher extent than car batteries; better to use the marine starting battery & "play it safe."

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Usually the port and starbard lights are switched together and the riding light seperate...I suggest running an earth wire from the battery neg around the boat to service all the items . You dont say how big the engine is but I use a $49 battery from K mart .LM50C .I buy when they have a 25% off sale .they are made by exide and works my 90 HP V4 fine. Make sure you bolt it down or the vibraton can kill any battery. You are not using it to start the engine so its fine for the fish finder etc and the engine re charges it when it runs
    Best get a switch/fuse panel from BCF they are the cheapest.about $16.95 .then all you have to do is to bring in a live and go off to your accessories. I use the clamp on battery terminals also from BCF $12.95 a pair bright blue and red ,no spanner required (swedish design ) ,,its always a good idea to disconnect one battery terminal when the boat is not in use ...
    but dont do it when the engine is running ( private joke here )

PM me if you want any more advice as some of the people on here are right Galahs....now thats an ausie term the septic tanks wont understand ..ha ha

4. spartan117

spartan117 New Member

Thanks

Got the stuff, Will be hitting it this weekend.

Who knows might even get to test her out.