Revision of Commercial Vessel Standards in Australia

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by mflapan, Aug 20, 2008.

1. mflapan

mflapan Junior Member

Dear all

I have previously posted information about work done on a new stability standard under the Stability Forum. However, this post pertains to documents for public comments pertaining to standards other than stability. Hence I have created this new thread. The information is as shown below:

Issues papers now out for public comment – have your say

NSCV Part C Construction and Design, Subsection 2 – Watertight and Weathertight Integrity.

This Issues Paper:

• questions the requirement for all vessels to adhere to the International Load Lines Convention's ways of protecting boats from heavy weather.

• explores options for protecting vessels from the ingress of water in heavy weather by their watertight arrangements.

• considers whether the International High Speed Craft Code should be used as a basis for the new standard, whether classification society rules might be used or if the standard should start anew.

Comments close 15 September 2008

NSCV Part F Special Vessels, Subsection 2 – Revision of USL Code Part 18 ‘Hire and Drive Vessels’.

This Issues Paper:

• acknowledges the need to take account of the range of hire boating activities currently on the market (eg, houseboats, day-outing power boats) and emerging around Australia – these newer activities include off-shore bareboat chartering, hiring a boat on a trailer and jet ski hire.

• considers the many existing standards for the design and construction of boats used in this sector – such as those applied in North America and Europe – which might be referenced rather than creating a uniquely Australian set of requirements.

• invites comment on the title of the new standard – i.e., ‘hire and drive’ is not fixed and the Issues Paper is open to suggestions on a better way to describe it.

Comments close 22 September 2008.

Download the following documents from www.nmsc.gov.au – or phone (02) 9247 2124

2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

one would think, as far as hire and smaller craft that the EU CE recreational standards could be adopted, without fuss
    But given that rule making is an art form, an industry that keeps many in unecessary uproductive work, I'll bet you London to a brick they ignore the easy cheaper way

3. mflapan

mflapan Junior Member

Dear Lazeyjack

You might find it advantageous to read the issues paper first to understand what is being proposed!

One of the options raised is indeed to adopt a similar approach to the EU CE recreational standards. The idea of the issues paper is to try and identify issues such as yours as a first step to achieving concensus between people with widely varying views. Some see hire and drive as purely commercial vessels, some see them as just like other types of recreational vessels. The reality is likely to be somewhere in between.

Please note that this standard not only applies to the vessels themselves, but also the operators. You will find that in the EU the requirements for operators of hire and drive vessels are not covered by the EU Directive, but by national legislation.

We certainly would welcome your considered input into the process. That is why the thread was created. Please provide any comments you have via the Feedback Forms provided on the Have Your Say web page at:

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/yoursay_2.html

I look forward to receiving your thoughts.

Regards
    Mori

Regards
    Mori

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

point taken I did read some of it Mori
    I should not be a lazy apathetic creature, I will make the effort
    And thank you for taking the time
    I guess I am rather a sceptic, after sailing the world and building for over 30 years and then being TOLD I must take a drivers test to sail my yacht, and that I must take this test in the 12 foot tin boat provided by the examiner!
    NZ people are not so apathetic, the industry per capita is larger and the people said NO, to registration of boats (private) and licencing of skippers However I suppose I support the building of better boats
    I do not however ,support the bringing in of compulsary insurance for vessels over 15m
    best rgds
    Stu

5. mflapan

mflapan Junior Member

Public Comment Sought: Watertight and Weathertight Integrity Standard

Dear all

The draft Standard and draft Regulatory Impact Statement for Watertight and Weathertight Integrity standard are now available for comment!

The draft standard for the National Standard for Commercial Vessels (NSCV) C2 – Watertight and Weathertight Integrity has been open for comment since July 2010, however, we have been awaiting its accompanying draft Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) to be processed by the Office of Best Practice Regulation. The RIS is now posted on the NMSC website alongside the draft standard for public comment and we have extended the length of the consultation period to 8 October 2010 to give all stakeholders time to provide feedback on both documents.

Note: When commenting on this new draft standard and RIS, it is most practical to compare the standard against current vessels.

Find out more:
    The draft standard and RIS for NSCV C2 – Watertight and Weathertight Integrity are available on the NMSC website: at:
    http://www.nmsc.gov.au/nmsc_and_you/index.php?MID=73&COMID=1&CID=70

Remember, the comment period NOW closes: 8 October 2010.

Best regards
    Mori

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Mori,

I have commented previously with you, and do not mean to be disrespectful to you personally (so close your ears mate)..

I am sick to the top of my head from constant rules and regulations, new tests for this and that, licences that expire after being told they are for life, now have to be renewed every 12 months. (at great expense of course)....compulsory insurance for certain lengths....and wait for it fellas....you will need (again expensive tests) a licence to go overseas......so much crap and fees to create more and more bureaucrats and their agendas.

....what ever happened to the days when we could go for a sail in a boat we built for ourselves without the need for lifejackets, flares, radios, GPS, etc etc....we are sooooooooo regulated we cannot even cope with all the crap anymore....same as the tax department, so many rules they cannot themselves even give an answer any more..........

....on with the show.

7. mflapan

mflapan Junior Member

Hi Landlubber

You might be surprised, but I do empathise with boaters who just want to have a pleasurable day boating. I too have a tinnie.

However, all those things you mention in your email are matters that I have no direct input into. Nowadays I don't even work for a Government agency. So there is not much use venting your frustration on this thread. The long and the short of it is that I cannot act on your feedback and the decision makers are unlikely to read it.

But what I can do is ensure that you and other stakeholders have the opportunity to input into the specific commercial vessel standard on watertight and weathertight integrity so at least this standard is reasonably practical and effective.

You sound like you have had lots of experience. Why not have a look and see whether there might be an opinion or insight you could contribute? The feedback form can be downloaded directly from the website.

Regards
    Mori

8. mflapan

mflapan Junior Member

Dear All

The draft of the last section of the National Standard for Commercial Vessels is available for public comment.

Public comment is being sought on NSCV – Part C Section 1 – Arrangement, Accommodation and Personal Safety.

Comment is also being sought on the Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) for NSCV – Part C Section 1 – Arrangement, Accommodation and Personal Safety.

Part C Section 1 is a very broad section that covers topics that include field of vision from the operating position, arrangements for navigation signals, passenger and crew accommodation on vessels, escape and evacuation, ladders, stairways, corridors, etc, seating, guard rails, gangways, protection from machinery and so on.

Members of the forum are very welcome to comment.

The links to the draft standard, draft regulatory impact statement and comment templates are at:

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/nmsc_and_you/index.php?MID=73&COMID=1&CID=70

The draft standard can be downloaded directly from:

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/media/pages_media_files/files/NSCV_C1_ver 6_pcomment.pdf

NOTE: The regulatory impact statement will be available in a few weeks.

Best regards
    Mori

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.