Reversing reverse??

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by jimisbell, Sep 12, 2006.

1. stevel

stevel Lost at sea

Lobster boats

I'm told (but haven't verified) that a lot of lobster guys set up with CCW/left-hand props to be able to work traps on the Starboard side and be able to walk into them, rather than away. The left-coast lobster boat that I drove for a season of Sundays was not set up that way. It was CW/right-hand, and worked the traps from the starboard. That sure taught me slow speed manuvering skills in a damned hurry. You don't have to go under the boat to clear the prop very many times before you learn to stay off of the ropes.

2. stevel

stevel Lost at sea

No, I insist!

My good sir, it was I who erred:)

3. stevel

stevel Lost at sea

Lobster season

Did I mention that Lobster season is not during the warm part of the year, and it is illegal to have SCUBA gear on a lobster boat, so you have to do the work while holding your breath.

4. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

That sounds like a violation of safety requirements. I would think that since having a fouled prop might cause an accident, or worse, a loss of life, that someone who made up that rule has never been to sea and needs a lesson...like maybe being taken on a trip and made to clear a prop in cold weather and no diving equipment.

5. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Yes you can damage your velvet drive by running it in reverse for extended periods. I have heard that the oil cooler hoses can be rigged to different ports to alleviate that problem. Check the id plate for intended rotation direction as mentioned previously, then make sure propellor corresponds.
    If your throttle control is also backwards, is there any possibility that the control unit can be rotated 180 degrees? Traditionally, the throttle is located on the right side and the shift on the left. If thats not the case, you have a simple fix. Good luck, KapnD

6. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

Yes, the throttle and shift are on the correct sides, and both have "see saw" mounts so all I have to do is change the cable to the other side.......BUT...there is not enough clearance for the cable so I will have to remove the controls to get room to work on them and maybe reposition them 1/2" further aft.

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

.there is not enough clearance for the cable so I will have to remove the controls to get room to work on them and maybe reposition them 1/2" further aft.

Sounds a bit easier than repowering.Cheaper too!

FAST FRED

8. jimisbell

jimisbell Junior Member

Well, YES....but I dont think repowering was ever a consideration.....

But it will be easier...if it were a prop of the reverse type needed....which it appears it is NOT.....to replace the prop with the one I found in the engine room that IS LH screw. But that does not appear to be the problem.

It appears that whoever put the controls in didnt have any idea what they were doing. They must have really worked hard to get BOTH controls backwards.

By the time I get these reversed I will be used to the backwards ones!!!!