Reversible Catamaran Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by venomousbird, Dec 16, 2008.

1. venomousbird

venomousbird Junior Member

Alright, just a warning, this is a far-out concept that I've been mulling over in my head. I want some opinions!

My basic idea is a very simple catamaran with basically an upside-down catamaran anchored several feet on top of it, and a gyroscopic 'pod' that is able to swing freely midway above the waterline, between the two levels. . .

The idea is that the boat could flip entirely over without capsizing, and continue sailing. Power systems would be another story, but I'm just wondering about the possible viability of the hull design. My goal is a light, strongly built catamaran that could withstand virtually anything.

Another possibility is a torpedo shaped boat with a gyroscopic interior second hull that is weighted at the bottom. The rocking of the interior vs. exterior hulls in the waves could be used as a power generating device.

2. venomousbird

I've done some thinking about the design, and decided an easier way to go about the whole affair would be to have 4 torpedo shaped pontoons, leading to the exterior hull being identical on all 4 sides, so having them flip would be irrelevant. They would be held at 4 corners of large metal rings, with wheels facing inwards on the inside of the rings. This would basically form a skeletal superstructure.

The cabin would be a long cylinder extending slightly forward of the pontoons in the front and slightly aft of the pontoons out the back. There would be grooves in this cylindrical cabin into which the inward pointing wheels would fit. Thus, the cabin would be able to rotate freely within the superstructure to which the pontoons are attached. A motor could then be attached to the back of the cabin, and allowed to hang down into the water. A windmill or remotely controlled fixed wing sail could be connected to the fore and aft of the cabin, with lead-acid batteries being used as ballast in pods attached to the bottom of the cabin to ensure that the cabin remains upright. As much additional ballast as required could also be added.

The swaying of the cabin (relative to the superstructure) on the waves could be used to generate power. The idea is like that of a hammock hanging in a regular cabin - that is, gravity keeps the sleeper relatively steady, despite the pitching of the waves, but in this case the entire cabin is allowed to sway like a hammock, providing gyroscopic stability. Sure it would take a LOT of creative innovation to make a scheme like this reality, but it sure takes boatbuilding in an entirely new direction.

3. venomousbird

Just did a 3D concept drawing of the idea. Looks rather interesting I think!
    [​IMG]

4. Tcubed

Tcubed Boat Designer

As usual the concept has already been at least partially thought of. In the latter part of the nineteenth century some passenger craft were experimenting with whole gymballed cabins - for the first class passengers of course.

As for the entire boat being reversible it reminds me a bit of some all terrain model cars with oversized wheels that are reversible.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi venomousbird,

I have pondered the same idea for some time but have never tried anything in drawing.

My idea was a single centre hull and two ama's (tri), the tri's top and bottom profiles are the same so any side is down (or up)

Same for the centre hull, except the centre hull has a housing in it that can rotate inside the hull and stays upright with gravity. If the tri does roll over the inner centre would remain upright.

Problem comes with sails and stuff luke that.

6. venomousbird

That's why you can extend the center pod beyond the front and rear of the pontoons (something I neglected in the drawing). Then you could mount a windmill. Also, you can get power from the waves. All the weight of that cabin rocking counter to the frame would add up to a lot of power. I'm surprised nobody has ever used wave power to charge batteries in a boat. (Or if they have I would love to hear about the system they've devised!)

7. sailfaiz

sailfaiz Junior Member

propulsion will be an issue

8. venomousbird

I've been thinking that there could either be dual sets of electric motors, mounted directly on the pontoons torpedo-style, so that any two being in the water at any given time can be activated, or else one large motor can be connected at the back to hang down into the water, with a separate pedulum structure to maintain a constant angle with the water.

9. clmanges

clmanges Senior Member

Well, it seems like it's aimed at keeping itself afloat in heavy beam seas, right? I could picture that, but there are two problems that come to mind. First, it's going to be rolling over sideways in steep waves, so that may hinder its ability to stay on course. Also, I think that each time it rolls over, the occupants will take a pounding, even if they are being insulated from the rolling motion. Think about that big pontoon hitting the water, smack. And, when it rolls, the occupants will be tossed sideways as well. Fasten your seatbelts.

10. venomousbird

The idea is that it will be designed not to flip, but so that if it does flip, it doesn't spell certain disaster. The design will only work if overall pontoon weight is kept to a minimum. Any suggestions from anyone on keeping it all balanced? If a regular cat flips, you're going to be in worse trouble than just getting thrown sideways.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.