Reverse Engineering (conversions And Modifications)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by viking north, Dec 25, 2010.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok, TAD, Now this is getting scarey, i understand and comprehend every thing you say. I have already done a trial fit of the engine, fuel tanks, and mock up of wheelhouse, galley, heads, so once i present the lines and a rough scetch of what the superstructure and interior layout as i what i think will work, that should help me on the ballast CG and how it is installed, spread out or more concentrated close to the CB. And again in case i don't say it enought , Thank you, Geo.

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Not applicable for a power only boat.

The balance I was refering to is between the aerodynamic forces acting on the sails and the hydrodynamic forces acting on the hull. Fundamentally different than how the boat "trims", ie its fore/aft attitude when floating.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Have you estimated the mass (weight) of everything excluding the ballast, and then calculated the resulting center of mass/gravity without the ballast based on the mass and location of each object? Tedious but until you do so you won't be able to figure out where the ballast needs to go.

The alternative is to go ahead and build without a reasonable estimate of the final, complete mass and CG. The builder hopes that once the boat is afloat they will be able to move and add/subtract enough ballast and other items for the boat to trim reasonably close to the desired waterline. For a one-off build the probability of success is questionable.

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I have gone thru this twice on prev, conversions and both boats ended up on their envisioned waterlines(one was 1/2 in higher in the stern) as painted on in the shop just from my looking at the hull and Guestimating them, now whether their Longitudional CG lined up with their CB i can't say, however neither vessel seemed to have any bad habits so to say.Both floated perfect transversely.I have already done a good trial fit of the heaviest items (engine, fuel tanks, water tanks) and have done a good mockup of the superstructure and interior so the calculations of mass and location would not be too difficult say within 90%accuracy.Iam an ex open Atlantic fisherman, an experienced boat builder but old school and i have what i think is a very potential hull . While it is not going to be a designed build from day one it will fufill one item in my bucket list and that is to build from a set of specs and understand what they are asking me to do, thus the importance and much appreciated education i am getting from this forum, again Thanks, Geo

5. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Cheers Steve he has done a "great conversion" and we are talking off line. I have posted an article which appeared in "Good old Boat" to inspire and provide hope. Things seem to have gotten quite civil around here nice to see sincerely John

Attached Files:

• GOB1.jpg
      GOB1.jpg
      File size:
      393.7 KB
      Views:
    • GOB2.jpg
      GOB2.jpg
      File size:
      455.3 KB
      Views:
    • GOB3.jpg
      GOB3.jpg
      File size:
      446.7 KB
      Views:
    • GOB4.jpg
      GOB4.jpg
      File size:
      451.5 KB
      Views:
  6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

When a boat is floating at rest the CG will be in a vertical line with the CB - basic physics. Whether they are the CG and CB that were guessed at or calculated is a different question.

If you have confidence that you can envision with acceptable accuracy where the actual waterline will line up and are willing to live with the results then you don't need to do any calculations. Many designers and builders don't have that ability, particularly without a lot of experience with very similar boats.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

I,ve been around, played in, worked in fishing boats for the first 17yrs. of my life, then after a stint in the air force it started all over again to my present age, which certainly is young anymore.I think the experience of working in small to medium fishing boats on open Atlantic waters certainly gives one a 6th. sense of hulls, loading verses inches of emersion,and certainly gravity so maybe unknowingly it seeped into the brain. Then again possibly more good luck than good engineering. However really looking forward to this build where i am going to build to actual design parameters. Regards, Geo.

8. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Geo when are you going to show us the money mate? I for one can't wait to see some photos. The information coming from the forum now is outstanding and I hope encouraging to those who might have been intimidated by the strong opinions found here. “Can do attitude” certainly helped me when I was serving our countries in the mountains of Afghanistan. Dreams are funny things but thank whatever deity you prefer that we have them. John

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

John, just completed re doing my hull lines today and added a few intermediates on the ends, dam cold work with plumb bob and tape with bare hands this time of year. Hoping to get them transferred to paper over the next week or so, very busy with my regular job on a big renovation for a guy from California. Thought i might post a few of my prev. builds along with still seeking info to keep the thread active although as you say the quality of info on the forum now outstanding, especially the ability of the posters to express what is such a dynamic topic into laymans language. A vessel under the influence of the variences of wind and water is far more dynamic than an aircraft in flight, air being reasonably stable. Anyhow "UP THE KIBER" Geo.
    P.S. Great article on Chris Bauer's conversion, wow he did a good job, Funny world, He a German converts a lifeboat and sails it from Europe westward across the Atlantic to north america and me a north american(Newfoundland, Canadian) sold my lifeboat conversion to a German couple and last i heard they planned sailing it eastward from north america across the atlantic to Europe. Ships passing in the night, Reality is stranger than fiction.

10. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Geo,

If you like to have the excel files, I gladly e-mail them to you. All what you have to do is, to overwrite my information and add zeroes to what is not applicable. I you want, I can do it in inches and feet for you, instead of milimeters, centimeters, decimeters and meters. Except the Rigthing arm curve. I did not receive any comment, but I have to sort the input for the formulae out. It is not usable as it is in its present form. Do you have excel on your computer?
    Bert

11. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Bert I never thanked you for those files mate thanks a lot John...

12. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

John, What you have downloaded are in a Jpeg form, because Jeff is trying to sort a problem out I am having with the forum website settings. If you would like to have the actual Excel files, no problem, i e-mail them to you. They should have all the excel formula's in them. Please do not use the actual CURVE file, I have to do some more work on it. The others are fine, as long you understand what I have done.
    a) in some instances I use the actual Stations as per drawing from the designer. Because the hull is a very stable old fashioned long V type of hull, I was able, quite accurate to calculate the area. I could not use the Simpson rule, as the stations where not in equal 10 pieces.
    b) in other instances I use the LOA divided by 10, and in that case I could use the Simpson rule.
    c) as a result there maybe a small discrepancy, but it should not affect my conclusion on stability at the end of the day.
    Bert

13. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

While adding ballast , does this give you the opportunity to tune the pitch damping to some degree?

14. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Bertku, Thanks for the offer but i wouldn't know what to do with them, However i see you are forwarding them to John (Scunthorp) so maybe i can have him play with my hand drawn lines when they are ready. Just discovered he lives fairely close to me and he is in the process of converting a lifeboat, something i did some years ago and i'm going to pass along the don't does from my experience on it to him. Tnx. Geo.

15. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Frank, thanks for that e mail wanted to respond but couldn't figure how to do it, have to ask my brother in law to come back to show me how to post photos again, I'm a cave man when it comes to computers but learning slowely. Good question on the post, I think TAD, Gonzo, and D Cockey all touched on it, is also something i am interested in, I think hull shape plays a big role, maybe they could expand upon it. Geo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.