Reverse engineering a Twiggy

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by catsketcher, Jun 24, 2011.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

In response to the thread on crossbeams I had a go at reverse engineering a Twiggy beam. Feel free to have a read and a comment.

Cheers

Phil

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Nicely done. Steve

3. rayaldridge

rayaldridge Senior Member

Very good stuff, Phil. Now if you could just do that for a good little cat...

Reading your piece did make me wonder why waterstays haven't generally been used to stabilize cat beams.

4. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Thanks for the post

Phil, thanks, that makes me feel better about my re-engineering my Buc 24, I have been coming up with similar numbers. I didn't realize the Twiggys had double water stays, are the attach points on the hull separated fore and aft? B

5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Great paper Phil. Plenty of Crowthers over here (NZ) but I've never seen a Twiggy, although Cathy Hawkins book gives some insight. Didn't know the beams had an option to fold.

Where the stays join the main hull near the waterline drag in waves may be an issue. Most designs for tube crossbeams seem to employ them (eg. Kurt Hughes, B24). The 25 foot tri I'm building (which has wooden box beams) has them running from the bottom of the hull step, normally well clear of the water. On my boat these are 6x50mm S/S flat bar, not a wire stay, so I suppose its technically a strut. I've seen a similar arrangement on a Bucc 33 with tube beams which I may have a photo of somewhere.

6. rayaldridge

jamez I suppose a seagull striker is sort of an upside-down water stay. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some all-out weight-paring racing cats have similar strut and wire combos under the main beams.

7. catsketcher

Waterstays

Bruce - the Twiggy waterstays are about 200mm apart from each other.

Ray - I will dig out my reverse engineering of the Seawind 24 and write it up properly. It is a good little cat that has performed well and is solid too. It can use a dolphin striker to counter mast compression.

Jamez - the fold option was news to me until a few days ago. That's pretty sad considering I had my own plans that I sold with my Twiggy. I could do the calcs to prove the beams can't be cantilever but looking at them you can see that they aren't - they don't have increased depth at the root or any increased scantlings like a proper cantilever beam. I am sure that they are considered as compression struts only but need extra bulk to be walked on and take fore and aft loading - they are bigger fore and aft than deep - another giveaway for the compression strut.

cheers

Phil

8. rayaldridge

Phil, I'm really looking forward to it!

9. langdon2

langdon2 Junior Member

Thanks for putting that up, Phil. Very interesting piece.

Cheers,

Steve

10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Ray,

All of the day sailing cats I have used have a dolphin striker. Same exact concept as a water stay just no main hull to get in the way of the loads. I thought you had talked about those in an earlier blog. Hobie 18's have a cable if I remember right and the Tornado in my back yard has an aluminum strap.

Marc

11. Samnz

Samnz Senior Member

interesting

any chance you could share the scantilings for the foam and glass beam?

the 12 degree angle is the angle used for the diamonds on an alloy rig, no surprises he uses the same figure.

12. catsketcher

Foam

Gday Samnz

I can do a quick sketch up of the foam beam in a few days. At the moment I am doing my reverse engineering on the wooden beam.

cheers

Phil

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.