Trolling motor for aux power

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by LP, Apr 15, 2006.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Just curious if anyone out there would consider using a trolling motor as their auxilary power in a 16' daysailer.

My thoughts would be to mount it to the rudder or at least have a mechanical interconnect between the sailboat tiller and the motor tiller to have the advantage or vectored thrust and rudder steerage.

I see the advantage of reduced weight on the stern of the boat, as compared to a gas powered motor. Increased weight where it should be. i.e. the battery located down low and towards the center of the boat. Quiet operation. The addition of lights to the craft. A cleaner and less bulky installation than gas. Possible conversion to a solar charging system in the future.

The main disadvantage that I see is the need to periodically recharge the battery. The boat is not a cruiser so I don't see it as a major problem.

I'm open for input.

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

You would have to strap the battery in very securely in case you capsize. You don't want it falling out or sliding around.

3. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Should work just fine , an AGM batteruy would work with out the chance of an acid spill.

One HP from an engine will produce about 20 lb of thrust from a reasonable propeller.

The electric motors are RATED in thrust , making the selection EZ.

FAST FRED

1 person likes this.
  4. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I'll stick with a paddle, but it seems like a good idea that one, especially if you consider pollution and noise (or lack thereof) in comparison to petrol auxillary.

One thing, though, how about charging it, have you considered how you will do that until you get the solar charging thing up and running? I mean, it's a small boat and all, and batteries are heavy. Or do you take your boat home with you (i.e. no problems then)?

1 person likes this.
  5. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Fred,

I was hoping to get some positive response. Thanks for the numbers. I hadn't sat down yet to convert HP to thrust or vise versa. Yeah, I was thinking of going with a gel cell battery. In a standard lead-acid battery, I'd be concerned with battery fumes. Is this also a concern in an AGM type battery?

DB,

The boat is trailerable, so it goes home with me. I'll just get an inexpensive battery charger. I drove 12-14 hours one time to get down to the gulf of mexico and could only manage to wander around in the channel because the winds were squirrly and the current stiffled any progress we made. Long story short, a little bit of a kick would have gotten us out of the channel and on our way.

6. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

I used a trolling motor (with lead-acid batt.) on my Coronado 23 for awhile with absolutely no problem. Pushed her right along!
    edit: It was20lb. thrust.

7. kjell

kjell Senior Member

I was using this trolling motor as an active rudder on my catamaran with very good result.

Attached Files:

8. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Kjell,

With the standard propellers you are typically stuck at 2-1/4 knots.

Yoke.

9. LP

LP Flying Boatman

propellers

Yoke,

Are there different pitched propellers for trolling motors. I suppose trolling motors are pretty limited and specific in any change pitch to their propellers. A displacement hull would be easier push than a planing hull could, I would think, be able to accept a higher pitched prop. Is there an effect on power consumption? From your statement, it sounds like these motors are designed to operate at a max top speed of 2 1/4 kts.

10. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

For what it' worth now, it is a 32# thrust, not 20. Don't know what I was thinking.

11. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

If you don't mind me answering that, I only found one, the Vanishing Prop from Minn Kota. I would'nt worry so much about pitch as I would thrust.

12. LP

LP Flying Boatman

The problem is that the thrust rating is only accurate at one speed. It could be at static power or it could be at a certain speed. There is a speed limit on any prop based on pitch and RPM. The drag of the boat obviously comes into play too. The point I'm trying to make is, a displacement hull offers lower resistance than does a comparable planing hull, would I be operating at a lower efficiency with a standard prop due to the fact that my mission is different from the trolling motors intended mission? And, if so, can I increase the efficiency by increasing the pitch of the propeller? (if such a beast even exists.)

13. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Do you have any idea of what speed you attain.

From most literature that I've seen, the emphasis is on low speed power and dealing with weeds. (I think)Top end efficiency isn't part of the performance profile in a trolling motor.

14. Figgy

Figgy Senior Member

Well I didn't leave much of a wake, but it got the job done. 3 to 4 knots was about it, and it took a few seconds to get there, no kiddin'.
    No, its not. But the manufacture does expect fishermen to fight currents. While you might not have any numbers on top speed or efficiency, i would'nt by too worried. Do you have a friend you could borrow one from, maby try it before you buy one?

15. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Thanks for the input. If your getting 3-4 kts with 32#'s on a 23'er, I shouldn't have any problem with 40#s on 16'.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.