17ft junk rigged yawl

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by taniwha, Sep 22, 2014.

1. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Re-launched my 17 ft junk rigged Yawl "Soso". Installed a (recycled) teak deck. I hope to install the bamboo, main mast this week and have some pictures of her sailing, the mizzen mast will be for later, first enjoy some sailing. At the moment I honestly have no clue how I will install the rig, the attached picture was just a trial.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. cmckesson

cmckesson Naval Architect

She's beautiful!

3. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

Beautiful. Is that Bang Saray. I live just down the road. I am in Canada on my boat right now but will be back in a week or two. I would love to come and see her.

4. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Yes it is Bang Saray, well spotted you are welcome any time I mostly hang around the BoatHouse or the Bang Saray Club. I will be away from 5 to 22nd of October.

5. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

I live right across the road from the Bang Saray club in one of the three cottages beside the tall house so I will be sure to see you. I use the little beech there to launch my sons optimist dingy and test the 15 foot scale model for a folding proa I am working on.

6. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

hmm kind of miss 10 cm bamboo now :)

Attached Files:

7. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Some new pics

Soso sailing.jpg

received_10204570300964745.jpeg

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That's a gorgeous boat.

9. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

She is nice.

10. Johnny123

Johnny123 Junior Member

here is a little design i made using the German trailer sailer varianta 65

Attached Files:

11. gdavis

gdavis Junior Member

hello taniwa, Wow, good looking sails. Did you build them? Are those bamboo battens? I junk rigged a 17'6" canoe a while ago, it handled like a dream. I made the sails out of Tyvek the building fabric they use these days. Kinda quick and dirty but they performeed okay. Have you seen the book by derik van loan, designing,building and using the junk rig.(not sure the name or title but should be close) I know I have it somewhere but couldn't put my hands on it at the moment. His book is a good bolt and nut way of building this rig. If you have seen haslers and mcleods practical junk rig you might find it a bit long winded as I did. From one picture it looks like you need luff hauling parrels or at least one on the boom or bottom batten.these will keep the luff more in line with the mast and at the same time raise the aft end of the bottom batten up. They can also help to move the sail fore or aft a bit. Do I make any sense? I've always wanted to build a Chinese junk, maybe a three master with that cool little mizzen on the stern, just something about them that I love. Hope this helps ........peace out.....g

12. Johnny123

Johnny123 Junior Member

Dear George I think I would be a horrible builder. I was inspired by Mingming2 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jsPOlg7Ovc) from Roger Taylor, who, in my view is one of the real sailors today, in this context i want to mention the Jester Challenge he is also sailing with. In Germany this boat would never be changed, its the boat of small timers, first boat sailors, usually not thinking the other way. But since its a nice boat (vanderstadt hull) I wouldnt mind making it ready for some single handed coastal sailing. I even think the junk rigg fits quite good, since the boat shape looks a big chinese, possibly a bowsprit would make it even better. It would also be a eye catcher on the small little alpine lake I'm sailing it on. If I would change my boat to this of my designs, by the way made with gimp;), I would need to set the mast forward and make a sturdy frame so it would hold without stays, the sails I would love to sew myself, and yes if practical I would even use bamboo or go the techno way. Below my own boat as above too but rendered to a motorsailor with greek surrounding and a radar arch using photo editing freeware gimp.

Attached Files:

13. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Beautiful job! Well done!

14. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Thanks George, I did not make the sail but my neighbour did, with very restricted instructions from my side and a lot of guess work so yes I am very happy with the result.
    The mast and batten are from bamboo as they are widely available here in Thailand. The sail is Dacron but I could have used anything else it just happen that I had a rol of Dacron laying around.
    I bought the book from Derek van Loan but I must confess that I enjoy making my own mistakes and thus just like with cooking recipes read it, put it aside and did my own way.
    I will probably need hauling parrels as you mentioned, in fact I think that when I will repost a picture in a year or so not much will look the same.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.