Retro Outboards

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by SC1, Dec 25, 2004.

1. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

We are 2 students on the design programe, University of Karlstad, Sweden we will make an marketing research on how a "Retro" outboard engine (150 - 275 hp) could be looking 2005. We are interested in ideas :idea: from boaters , dealers , manufacturers , designers and boatbuilders. Finished prototype design will be shown May- 2005. ;)

For more info ideas etc. :idea: :?: kitzbuel@passagen.se

Attached Files:

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Search for "Feathercraft" these were alluminum 12.5 to 17 ft boats made after WWII.

They looked great with tumblehome aft and usually would run one Knot per HP .

In the '50's ,,35 or 40K was considered Fast!!!

FAST FRED

3. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Retro cruizer

Thanks Fast Fred , nice boats. This old Mercury "toaster" design conversion on the new Verado could be the way to go? :D

Attached Files:

4. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

Don't have alot of information, but about 5 years ago or so there was a company in the USA making vintage motorhead covers for new outboards.
    We at the time were researching doing the same thing, building an updated mahogany outboard boat. Did a few boatshows with the concept boat and found not enough interest to warrant production.

Bill H.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Interesting, I'm not the only crazy one. I built two adaptor plates and assorted brackets to mount two 1960 Evenrude Lark 40 covers over a couple of newer Mercury outboards, for a restoration I finished a few years back. The owner wanted the old engine look, but not the fuss and difficulty. I also researched the idea of a market for just this on retro and restored craft, but it just isn't there. I still have the Larks (Electro Shift) any body want them, they need rebuilding, but do run.

6. What you did is the most intelligent thing, I have ever heard of in a " classic " anything!! Rich

7. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Here is another very classic merc 200 model,about 60`s first of through the prop exhaust..I believe.

Attached Files:

8. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Flashback feelings

Please give us your opinion about these retrodesigned engine cover conversions based on Evinrude E-tec and other brands. ;)
    Designs by:
    Morgan&Markus

Attached Files:

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Perhaps it they were fitted with tractor props, the idea may become more like new teckno, but still old looking.

10. decay21450

decay21450 Guest

Only my 2 cents worth, but if we're talking retro, these are more reminiscent of the Scott, Westbend and Chrysler outboards. The motors that quickened my youthful pulse were the Omc's and the Mercs. You could over-look your poor neighbor cranking on his cold-blooded Mercury once he began telling you about the glory days when he walked every other boat on the lake with his quicksilver lower unit.
    Well, maybe 4 cents worth. You're definately on track with the tall Merc. and Par was dead-on with the 60's Evinrude Lark. The 50's red and white Johnsons are also classics. Seems like OMC had their own Zora Duntov who must have left when they went to 4 cylinders.

Attached Files:

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Now there is some real pleasure boats.Just been looking at an old Evinrude Sportwin engine cover and wondering whether to keep it,and what to do with it.Guess I will keep it for a while yet.Thanks for pictures.

12. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

New designs

:cool:

Attached Files:

13. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

And some more....

Please give us more response :p

Attached Files:

14. decay21450

decay21450 Guest

Swweeeeeetttttt! Great designs. Your future is so bright you're going to need sunglasses.

15. PowerTech

PowerTech Senior Member

I like almost all of them.I saw a new flats boat at the boat show that was so prety it had a rounded transome on the sides and a beutiful bow it looked like it was from the fiftys and then it had this ugly brand new yamaha on the back and it killed the whole thing for me.What is cool to me is a inline 6 merk 140 with a wrap around couling.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.