Classic Sportboats

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by SC1, Dec 12, 2003.

1. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Strand-Craft is a new swedish company dedicated to build the most graceful boats of the good old times of boating. First out will be the 20´series with a lot of variations on deck layout depending on use and function. It´s trailerable and built for O/B use.
    We are looking for a financial companion who share our ideas about who a classic sportboat should be styled.

We also interested what You think about the design of the boats.;)

Pictures on.: www.strand-craft.com

2. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

[SWEDISH] Hej Hopp...

Personligen tycker jag inte utombordarna fungerar alls med båtdesignen. Dolvik båtarna är snygga, de nya likaså om du bara sätter in en inombodare istället.

OK I think the boats look great but the outboard engines has to go!

Boats of this type and style, traditionally never had outboards as far as I know, and I think that's the only choice.
    Good work otherwise! :D

3. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I agree, loose the outboards! Inboard or stern drive is the way to go. The outboard, especially today's ultra-modern designed outboards, would really detract from the classic styling of your otherwise beautiful boats.

4. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Do not compare this boats with original boats from the 50´s .This is boats for the 21´s century made of modern materials and bottomshape but with retro feeling. In this size I think outboarders looks more agressive. Bigger boat looks better with inboard.

Några jämför dessa 20 fotare med mycket störra båtar som tex. Riva, Dolvik mfl. Som absolut ej ´passar med utombordare.
    S-C 20 är tänkt som en lite större och modernare Sweet sixteen.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

SCI,

I agree with your acessment of outboards vs inboards. Each is a best fit for particular situations and owner preferences. To say that outboards don't fit on classic runabouts is to ignore the vast majority of the runabouts that were to be found on the water in the mid 20th century. Even though it's true that the top end, and expensive, Hackers, Gar Woods, Chris Crafts and Centurys were inboards.

One thing greatly in the favor of outboards is that the boat owner can buy and install a complete engineered package instead of what is often a taylored installation that can be far more troublesome and expensive to maintain.

The outboard allows you to market a boat to the whole world and let the buyer get what power is normally available in his own area.

I consider the outboard to be such a functional part of the boat that I don't care at all for the lengths that some go to to hide it. It's an honest part of the whole, so what's wrong with having it right there on the transom where it should be?

Tom Lathrop

6. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

I feel that when attempting to create a stylish boat of a byegone time one needs to consider the whole package.

The SCI boats look fine indeed, but I think it's a waste of appearence putting an OB on a traditional looking hull like that.

Butit could work if you made a replica of the "engine box" of an old Mercruiser OB or similar styling.

I have no problems w OB's as such, but on velssels like these...

7. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Replica of old engine boxes or details like logo/chrome fittings on a new engines we already thoght about. The final design will find its final form when we contracted the engine deliverer/companion.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  8. Corpus Skipper

This is what I was getting at, that the modern outboard and retro styling of the boats would clash. Now if Mercury would build a fuel injected "Tower of Power"..........:D

9. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

:D ops I did´t again

10. SC1

SC1 Senior Member

Ok Boatlovers
    We will give too you what is you wanting!

Strand-Craft is planning for a new runabout with retro-looks ,V8 powered and with jet-propulsion. It will be a throwback with
    Hot Rod appeal......;)

11. Corpus Skipper

Hurray! Make mine an 8.0 litre Vortec:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.