Retirement Houseboat or Floating Home

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Greenseas2, Aug 25, 2008.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

2. brian eiland

3. brian eiland

Compositing Toilet

BTW, I specifically asked about what sort of toilet system was utilized on this water vessel that must meet Coast Guard standards,...even in NO DISCHARGE zones.

They utilize an Envirolet unit.

What does an Envirolet® Composting Toilet do?
    Envirolet® Composting Toilet Systems efficiently convert waste to a clean compost material that is emptied only 1-3 times a year.

The Toilet: Re-Invented
    There's been a lot of news lately about the need to "re-invent the toilet" for use in developing countries where sanitation is lacking or completely absent. Envirolet® advanced composting toilet systems are already this toilet. Envirolet® can be used almost anywhere with little or no water and with or without power!

Applications
    Envirolet® can be installed almost anywhere. Popular applications include homes, cottages, cabins, pool cabanas, portable structures, work shops, basements, garages, farms, barns, warehouses, hangars, golf courses, military, marine, RV, trailers, mining camps and more. Basically, if you need a toilet we have a system for you.

Advanced Technology
    Envirolet® composting toilet systems all utilize a unique and patented Automatic Six-Way Aeration™ process to efficiently convert waste to compost.

models: http://www.envirolet.com/models.html

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Toilets are an extremely big part of the solution, and I found the composting toilet links interesting.

My interest was a bit dimmed by the prices - from ~$2000 all the way up to ~$9000. Not simple solutions. I suppose it is supposed to replace systems like septic tanks etc that cost quite a lot, so it must be quite a sophisticated system.

The other thing that I remember was when my 'hippy' son bought a well known brand of European composting toilet for his young family, to save on standard plumbing setup costs.

Over a period of 10 months it was a disaster. Not only did it not cope well with the 4 person 'servicing', it broke down repeatedly, and in the end was returned to the dealer for a full refund. It was a totally disgusting to use and unreliable.

I would love to hear any success stories with composting toilets - especially systems that are not as expensive as these.

5. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Nature's Head Composting Toilets: Saving Our Water for ...

natureshead.net/‎ ,,,,,USCG approved

I have used this unit in a home with a failed septic system , for 4 years.

It MUST be operated as designed , in that urine is collected in a tank (so boys must sit!!!) as the waste composting portion can NOT handle excess liquid.

Not great with visiting beer drinking guys that refuse to sit , but for a couple its great .

It takes over a month , near 2 ,for the composting tank to need to be emptied , and its simply put into a plastic bag and put in the dumpster, or dumped in a yard as compost.

Peat moss is cheap and $10 lasts a year.

The urine tank goes about a week before requiring a dump.

The unit is plastic and the price of near $1000 seems excessive , but I would move this one on our boat in a heart beat , if traveling in no discharge areas.

It is wonderful if operated as designed.

6. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Speaking as a former collegiate offensive lineman and ever fearsome abuser of facilities I can't help but wonder what size of ... people they used to establish the 1-3 times a year claim? :D

7. brian eiland

I was a bit disappointed with these BIG prices myself foe what seems like a relatively simple system (mechanically)??

I was told by the lady who conceived of this learning barge project that this toilet system had performed admirable for their whole hosts of students/visitors.

Me too, I still need to be sold on the idea. But it is looking like a real possibility.

One big concern I might have is the 'waterless units'. Just how does the 'crap' get moved along....:confused:

8. brian eiland

9. brian eiland

Sorry for that little digression into composting toilets, but we must be ever watchful for good solutions to the very important sanitation solutions for floating vessels.

10. brian eiland

So now lets get on with building a floating cottage / house / accommodation. For one such example I'm going to utilize a number of photos I took recently in Thailand. I expressly make a trip over to the Kanchanburi area as I had heard there were a number of 'floating resorts', and 'entertainment rafts' existing on the lakes and rivers of that region. This is the same region that the infamous “Bridge over the River Kwai' is located. In fact a number of these 'floating structures' are located on the River Kwai itself
    Kanchanburi map, province.jpg

Here are just a few photos of the bigger 'rafts' I saw on the Kanchanburi town waterfront:

Attached Files:

11. brian eiland

Under Construction

Now there happen to be one of these under construction right there on the waterfront,...in the water.

Attached Files:

12. brian eiland

Pretty straight forward steel 'shapes' welded together in a post and beam structure, and a pretty 'light weight steel' shapes as well. Steel is a pretty inexpensive building material. Some of this steel could be eliminated (or substituted by polycore-nidacore panels, etc.

13. brian eiland

Flotation Methods

There are a goodly number of ways to provide floatation for our 'houseboat structures'. One that most immediately comes to mind is a nice big flat-top barge affair with one end shaped (flared) for towing. These barge type platforms might be constructed of metal, wood, concrete, or other. In general these barges need to be fabricated to a plan, and most usually require some system of 'internals' in order to maintain their rigidity, their structural integrity, and their buoyancy integrity (safety) in case of some puncture of the outer skin.

On another theme the floatation might be provided by some number of individual 'floatation chambers' such as long 'tubes' of a cylindrical or rectangular shape. As you can tell from my photos from Thailand, they are much more attracted to these two types, and in particular the cylindrical ones over the rectangular shapes. I suspect this preference is much driven by economics and convenience.

...more on this later

14. brian eiland

Floatation Chambers on Thai Houseboats / Entertainment Rafts

round and rectangular floatation 'tubes'

Attached Files:

15. brian eiland

These floatation tubes were extras or abandoned.

Does anyone recognize the possible source of these?

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.