starting a business

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by DarlingYachts, May 8, 2010.

1. hi, i want to start a luxury motor yacht building company to rival the likes of Princess and Sunseeker but I dont know how to start or were to find a shipyard to buy. or even how to build a shipyard.:confused:

please help:D

2. mark775

mark775 Guest

go away

3. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

hahaha.. keep it up lol

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

It's simple. All you need is (i believe this is the correct British English) a lorry full of money!

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah...........

...and in heaven is funfair! From monday 02.00pm `til eternity. It´s ALL for free!

Bring your entire Family!!!

6. CatBuilder

:D Richard, that was hilarious! :D

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

The best place to go for your first shipyard is India or Turkey. You will need shots, of course. Start with a shot of scotch.

8. would it be possible to buy an island and build a shipyard on the island because i have found 1 in the bahamas were 1/2 is on shallower water for the smaller yachts and the other is deep for the big ones

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Assuming you are below ten years of age,

welcome here.

Otherwise, I would recommend:

go to your local "Hells Angels" club and tell them they are *******, and motorbikes suck!
    They will welcome you with a refreshing attitude!

So do we...............

10. the island is only $500000

and lets take it serously

11. BTPost

BTPost Junior Member

Do you know anything about building boats, and if you buy this island, how are you going to get the materials, from which to build these vessels, there? Marine Freight is about as expensive as one can get, for non-Routed Freight...

12. CatBuilder

Ok, if the new member (I'm new member too) *does* have a lorry full of money, or a barge full, then anything is possible.

Buy your island. Get your business permits to work in the Bahamas (you're British, right?) Dredge out the island (more permits). Install buildings, hire some designers, hire an experienced build crew and get yourself a real eye-catching design to run with.

Save money on shipping marine supplies by shipping your own, but don't forget about the customs in the Bahamas. They're going to want some taxes on everything you bring in to build for resale.

Like I said in my first post: All you need is a lorry full of money. From there, anything is possible.

BTW: Why are you considering doing this? To invest and make your money grow, or just as a hobby (a money losing venture?)

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Catbuilder,

To make a small fortune in boatbuilding, you have to start with a big fortune, and then.....

Tom Fexas

14. CatBuilder

Exactly my point! :)

15. zeroname

zeroname Naval Architect

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.