retiement at 40

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by catie I, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Hello Brent,

Every other post of yours, up to the last one, has been useful and sometimes amusing.

You, being in BC and thus a Canadian, have surprised me by claiming for yourself, the authority to declare on behalf of those who post at this forum, the royal "We" in respect of the use of poor grammar and incorrect spelling resulting in my suggestion that there are basic methods or techniques in avoiding same and that the erstwhile offer or gift of faecal matter as a gesture of goodwill or not, should be remaindered to the role of a single person, to whit, you. :D :D :D

Placing the following words "gives a ****. We don't" in a new order and ignoring for the moment, the disparity of nouns and singularity of persons, I see you could be saying "I don't give a ****", for which my remedy would be a good, nutritious Kashmiri chicken tonight, which should wrought wondrous bodily easement, as such was the benefit to me this morning, after last night's repast, courtesy of Patak's glorious condiments.

Thus, being enlightened, I can gaze upon your dismissive missive without rancour, with but one request. "Don't do it again, you naughty boy, or I'll wash your mouth with soap and send you to your room without any supper".

I remain, virtuously Victorian, etcetera, etcetera, :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Pericles

1 person likes this.
  2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Well said, my virtuously Victorian friend! :D

3. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

And a hearty round of applause from at least one of the colonials:)

4. Roly

Roly Senior Member

"pericles
    Save it for someone who gives a ****. We don't."

Ditto Brent.
    Arrogance only exceeded by generosity of opinion.

Sanctimonious prik. (as in dik tat)

Another bright mind with too much time dealing with other than lifes necessities.
    Another tirade?

5. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Roly,

Another Tirade? No, I just knocked out the reply to Brent in a couple of minutes, because I am clever with words. It was for my amusement and it would seem others also enjoyed it. You must understand that, surely? :p

Oh, and it's "life's necessities". :p :p I guess educational standards in NZ have plummeted as well.

Best of British (luck).

Pericles

6. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

… Unfortunately some people need the luck of the irish :p

7. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

OK, let's put that to trial: Without the help of a dictionary, google or the like, tell us, for some pints of beer, the meaning of these ten english language's words (1 beer each):

vernalagnia
    vibratiunculation
    machiaphobia
    mammothrept
    minimifidian
    deipnophobia
    dithyramb
    quaestuary
    hordarian
    sgiomlaireached

Cheers.

Attached Files:

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Fair only if you came up with these magnificant words without a dictionary, google or the like, all by yourself :p One musk keep in mind all these tools are at hand and at one's disposal, as long as you know how to use them and in the right context... some languages a direct translation comes out back to front, but yeah, I'd also like to see the fumbling :D or is it guessing :rolleyes:

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Actually, that has nothing to do with being clever with words. When one is clever with words it's about making plays and puns and twist and turns, not about knowing words like yours or the word antidisestablishmentarianism.

Thought I'd quote Les Claypool:
    :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  10. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Guillermo,

Latin or Greek, it's all Welsh to me. :confused:

Quaestuary. What estuary, you money lover?

Vernalagnia. Lust after green. Vernal means Spring.

Vibratiunculation. Terminate with extreme prejudice. Extreme Unction (the benefit of an RC schooling :p ) That's the cat's whisker.

Machiaphobia. Fear of the hopeful governor of Vermont. How does machia make war?

Mammothrept. Saggy breasts. A grandmother's boy.

Minimifidian. Oh ye of little faith. Me. Minimal fidaelis.

Dithyramb. Disco rap with a lispeth. Are you trying to Bacchus off the cliff?

Deipnophobia. Fear of Dieppe, because I have nothing to say when dining there.

Hordarian. The position that disappeared when Henry Vlll dissolved the monasteries and seized the treasures therein.

Sgiomlaireached. A close friend of mine drops by at lunchtime. Tat's got to be Oirish or Gallego

Yeah yeah, I looked them up, but so did you! :p :p

Best wishes,

Perry

11. kwb1312

kwb1312 Junior Member

Dithyramb, one out of ten, and even that only because of some dark memory that Nietzsche, - or his sister-, finally stopped writing after the „Dionysos-Thyramben“.

To find out, - decades after being treated with Latin and Greek -, that ones knowledge is not even sufficient for one beer, is harsh, but also enlightening. Suddenly it´s clear why more clever people like PM Brown think selling hamburger is enough preparation for university. :D

kwb

12. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

What! Wh, wh, wh? One outta ten! That's more than harsh, that's iniquitous!!:mad:

Solamente una cerveza! Why are beers feminine? I'm having one right noooooowwwww, courtesy of good ol' Waitrose hic habe habeamus
    as cor cor corpus! Wash at mean, know, know wot i mean, pal?

Hell's teeth, that was strong!:p

Pericles

13. kwb1312

kwb1312 Junior Member

You are right, testimonium paupertatis.
    - But what´s that stuff you pour into your beer? :confused:

kwb

14. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Whusky an wimmin an wild, wild song.:p

Perickkkllles

15. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

My vocabulary is only decently strong so I can only watch the erudition from the sidelines.

Perhaps the original intent of the discussion should not be lost. Courtesy seems to be the missing element in many posts here. If one has the ability to write a cohesive sentence with reasonably good punctuation and grammar, I think it is offensive not to do so. I know some of the posts must offend forumites although I also know that we have no constitutional right not to be offended.

There is no downside to good manners. Mistakes slip by the best writers. It is always good policy to attack the idea instead of the person who puts it forward. The former starts a discussion or argument. The latter starts a war which no one wins and all lose, including bystanders.:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.