Rethinking the smallest boat circumnavigation

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stonedpirate, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

And let's not forget, being constantly wet and still can cause major health problems. Even in 75 degree water the body can go hypothermic in hours, and remaining still, and not standing regularly at a minimum can cause strokes and embolism. Not to mention other major and minor health risks from sea sores to parallasis. I have seem nothing even attempting to address these isssues.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The problem with all small craft at sea is an old sailor's wives tail; "never go out in a boat smaller then the sea you'll encounter". A 10' boat will be in sea states a majority of the time, bigger then it's length. The threat of pitch poling, broaching and rolling will be constant companions. Continuously or near so battling the helm to maintain course and take preferred routes through the hills and troughs will overwhelm a skipper in short order, particularly if exposure is involved. And for the record attempt, no, rounding Antarctica without crossing the equator, will not count as a circumnavigation.

I think our Australian friend needs to spend some time in the roaring 40's or 50's. Even in a substantial craft, winds like this make everything difficult. Vision, breathing, working, even your ears take a beating, just from the noise. If on a substantial vessel this experience can be exhilarating, possably because you know it'll end in a few days. I can only imagine the affect it would have on one's mind set, when faced with week after week of this type of abuse, let alone the boat.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Well one thing can be assured -- with the temp. and sea down there forget the supermodel (We all know what cold water does) but about that time the white powder might come in handy and I don't mean for skiing either even though those 50-100ft. seas might look like well groomed mountains. Dam that vision almost has me praying then again picture this --Old Stonedpirate strapped to a chair surfing down one of those suckers.----Whoooeeeeee

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Sorry pirate meant no harm but I am getting confused with two threads on the same topic by the same OP. Mr Moderator or Stoned pirate Is it possible to combine these into one or choose one and I for one would like to actually entertain the actual possibility of designing a craft that had some chance making this voyage. Some mention was made that a 10ft. vessel had already succeeded. Was this an actual reconized record? I'm gonna do a search but if anyones got the info--time saved is appreciated. --
    Ok found the info-thanks Yo from an earlier post--So the record is 10ft. 11in.

5. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I suggest SP try strapping himself in a lawnchair or chaiselounge patio chair in his backyard. Surround himself with similar edibles and drink he'd expect on the voyage. Try it over a long rainy weekend. Repeat as many weekends as he can. Conditions are no where as harsh as at sea, but physical conditioning and learning his own limits of physical abuse and mental boredom, would be advantageous before initiating a year long voyage.

6. stonedpirate

stonedpirate Senior Member

At least someone agrees with me :)

But if serge is willing to hand over the title to sven, then i will accept his boat as the one to beat.

And what all this talk about the roaring forties and icebergs?

I will be going tradewinds and timed for best weather.

Worst conditions will be tropical cyclones.

Serge sailed through 4 of them from darwin to cocos islands and said they were nothing to worry about, just wind and water.

Listen to his interview on furled sails, very interesting man: http://furledsails.com/article.php3?article=759

How many times was surge capsized or pitchpoled in 500 days in his 12 footer?

ZERO

7. stonedpirate

Back to front. 11ft 10in.

8. stonedpirate

Smaller and lighter than equivalent sail required to move a 10 foot boat.

I could imagine a ships kite or a 30 footers kite being massive, but a 10 foot kayak will be little bigger than the average kitesurfers kite. My mate goes kite surfing every weekend carrying his board and kite in a little backpack while he gets to the beach on a moped.

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I fear a Killer Whale may attempt to mate with your little boat, SP, so be prepared !

10. Yobarnacle

My brother scuba dives. He has an umbrella with big teeth painted on it. Compact when closed, and about 3 ft diameter opened. Discourages predators. Might consider painting teeth on your hull, like the P51 Flying Tigers war planesw WWII!
    :D

11. stonedpirate

Thats not a bad idea, but dont want other countries thinking i am a terrorist :p

Make myself look as friendly and non threatening as possible.

If a whale tries to **** me, i'll just have to try enjoy it. :p

12. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Happy II is in the Brisbane Maritime Museum, I've taken a close look at it on a number of occasions. I'm pretty sure there's a picture on their Web site. One of the things I noticed is the number of stress cracks in the aluminium skin......

I have quite extensive experience in the Southern Ocean. I've surfed there many times. On the bridge of a 6500 tonne icebreaker.

I think that, in a small boat and especially on deck only, you are likely to drown before you die of exposure. In 60+ knots, the waves get enormous and the crests continually topple and roll down the slopes. The hull of a 10' boat may well be strong enough to survive this but I strongly doubt that a human can.

OK, Stoned says he's going to avoid the Southern Ocean. I can just see sitting in a chair strapped to a float under the tropical sun for months at a time. How much water capacity do you have on a 10' long hull? How much sunblock can you carry?

Basically, this is a stupid idea whose only purpose seems to be to achieve a record that very few will know about and even less care. Why not do something useful like sign an organ donor's consent form and then die somewhere you can be recycled into parts that help others live a longer & better life?

PDW

13. stonedpirate

I wont be too hard creating a sun shade over the chair.

14. Yobarnacle

A sliding canopy like for a plane could be your hatch. Maybe a double canopy, one transparent, one opaque. You will need shelter, and a sunshade only protecks from direct sunlight, not glare from the water.
    I'm not trying to disuade you. Just counseling err on side of safety. I have 43 years experience at sea all over world.
    Serendipity functions such that what you aren't prepared for, bites you.
    Contigency plans are the secret of survival and sucess at sea. Imagine all that can go wrong and prepare for it. And hope you overlooked nothing, cause the sea will remind you!

15. wildbill

wildbill Junior Member

i didn't have time to read the whole thread but from what i caught.... this may have been covered already but if not ....this will help you at least determine the due date of your demise.....

i think the human body requires 1/2 gallon of water per day ...at over 8lbs per gallon x that by amount of days allotted for the voyage ..... even if you were able to live on eating what you found floating by....i just dont see a 10' boat holding that much water

providing you dont sink at the dock ... now there's the "sleeping under the stars" plan.... hmmm?.... i fish tuna in the Philippines..... nice warm climate .... we just got finished with a storm where it rained pretty much non stop for 2 weeks .... i was in full rain gear and still got soaked.... froze my *** off in almost 80 degree weather..... unless you have gills you aren't going survive being wet that long ..... i went home every night and still felt like i was going to die.........i agree with the guy that suggested the motorcycle trip.....safe journey captain..........................wb

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.