restoring VANDA, 1926 40' Alden schooner

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by kevinbootes, Apr 13, 2009.

1. kevinbootes

kevinbootes Junior Member

antique plate details...

oops meant to explain pencil scribbles on paper lifted from designer/builder id plates which read

VANDA

DESIGNED BY
    JOHN G. ALDEN
    BOSTON, MASS.
    NO. 270-B

BUILT BY
    Britt Bros.
    WEST LYNN MASS

The big fork lift idea will likely not inspire confidence in anyone not as foolhardy as myself (and ever-green horned most rank and foul with all this job-hopping), too much length wobbling about one small support. in both senses. And I meant to say '2 slings on the 2 tines/fingers of one giant lift' the big beast that tosses 40' loaded shipping containers about here on the wharf. 18 ton max, wonder how close boat is to this

Will 'lose the glass anyway'? if as thick and well-done as I've been told, why not keep and scrape/burn out the wood rot station-by-station and replace with new, building outside-in rather than correct way inside-out? can't afford pretty and rational, no option but foam-at-the-mouth crazy now.

milling wood, there's all the texas mesquite out here anyone could want, (ranchers brought with their cattle now ravaging paradise as overgrazed hillsides erode smothering reefs under mud), a couple acres right across the street in the yard photo. I might could even get paid to cut it. problem is long straight runs like fir are not there, tangled pretzels at best, glue-lam and bending though can build up any odd shape desired with enough clamps and time. properly done, glued joints are stronger than the wood itself when not crossing grain.

tiny glows at end of tunnel appearing... sell mesquite-lam surfboards too heavy to float, show the sand-flea surfers the finish carpenter's way, any kid can dance all day on a stiffened flat balloon with fins but can you ride a rock? shark bites down teeth sink into hardwood and he loses his jaws swimming away mouthless and wiser, like the divorce attorney who bit me, keep the kids they'll come back at 16 to read these stories, i'll move into a rotten leaking boat in a hole in the ground b4 paying you for flying over and taking them, we'll sail away from this attorney-on-starving-attorney feeding frenzy of corporate greedlust for wealth = natural resources wasted, i spent 2 years on surgically precise octagonal vaulted and coffered ceiling trim in mahogany and teak and wenge (african) palaces stolen from rainforests to let the wealthy show off their strangling the planet... stop it, went off once already... still hard to get over Michael Dell's north Kona big island mansion with an interior swimming pool size aquarium of coral and fish with a bathroom built atop with floor of glass to peer down on captive manta rays and moray eels while pinching off yesterdays processed caviar, were it not OUR forests and oceans being plundered i could take it all lying down... even pretend moan a little

2. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

if you build a cradle under her stern for the big fork lift, make sure the hulll is tied to the fork lift, the smaller forklift with a spreader bar & slings under bow,tie this sling both sides to the stern, this is most important, the sling & cradle must not move fore or aft, you can get over the 30 ' road width problem, the big fork lift reverses, & is the main attraction, the smaller forklift follows, minimal chat, keep the whole shooting match clear of posers, poodles, timewasters & loudmouths, no alcohol, & you should be able to move her,

3. peter radclyffe

if this is still no go , consider dropping her keel before you move her, she will be much lighter

4. kevinbootes

Terminal VANDAmonium: pulling the plug

Esteemed Mariners,

In funereal somberness and persistent high drama, this notice of imminent VANDA project shutdown (or perhaps mere delay) is hereby posted. For perhaps legitimate reasons, this threader's taking any sort of guiding role in the restoration does not appear to be in the cards/ stars/ seafoam, and it may prove wiser that certain wrinkles in certain personal lives are first faired to allow a more dedicated focus on such an earnestly demanding and complex task. Locating a properly welcoming and deserved home for both boat and aspiring owner would seem to be a more judicious choice of first step than orchestrating an involved, traffic-interrupting haulout of a perhaps lost cause. An exciting career as a divesite may well await VANDA...

All the careful consideration and experienced input already offered by the various interested design threaders is gratefully acknowledged and very much apprecieated. May the spirit of Poseidon sail with you all amid blessings of Thor, God of Thunder...

(enough, bury the drama...)

recent email to city land use / planning authorities

Thanks for the guidance with sailboat relocation and renovation project, Anthony and Nancy...

I had begun the task of creating a small-scale cardboard and wooden skewer model of the (former) schooner VANDA based on hull design lines offered by an on-line advisor interested in the project...

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=268637

.... in order to familiarize the heavy equipment experts - considering the details of the proposed haul of vessel to the property on Beach Place - with the below-water proportions of the hull and its internal structural points of highest and lowest strength based on the dimensions of the metal keel, but past and continuing questions regarding permitting issues with the property's present structures - irrespective of the new one just proposed - need to be resolved before proceeding.

Once a game plan is settled on between myself and property owner toward moving the house and grounds renovations ahead, we will be able to address any current permitting issues and will advise you of our strategy. In the meantime, I will continue my past involvement with the situation - begun in October of last year - charged with keeping house secure and unoccupied, and maintaining property in a municipally acceptable condition.

Please advise of any pressing issues needing immediate attention either now or in the future by contacting me at my current residence in the home of Billy and Lynn Howell-Sinnard near mile marker 14 toward the east end of Molokai on Keala Oluolu Way, phone 338 8387

Looking forward to soon picking up where we are leaving off,

Kevin Bootes
    MS Fisheries and Aquaculture, Auburn U 1998
    BS Engineering Math (minor Biology), Dept'l Honors, Johns Hopkins U Baltimore 1987

Re: Moving VANDA down the block‏
    Sent: Mon 4/20/09 2:37 PM
    To: kevin bootes (kevinbootes@hotmail.com)
    Cc: Anthony F; Thorne
    1 attachment
    Nancy McP

Actually, before you send a letter to the Planning Commission, you needto submit an SMA Assessment application so that you will actually havean item to put before the Commission. They are really not supposed to behearing a whole lot about projects before the assessment is done and itgoes before them to concur with our recommendation for exemption. Yourletter can be submitted to them as part of the assessment applicationand they will see the letter as an exhibit after I have received andreviewed your application.

If you are renovating the house on the property, you will need toinclude the work done to date as well as work you intend to do on thehouse as part of the application also, in addition to the trench thatwill be dug for the boat keel. You really may not want to bring all of this up to the Commission'sattention until you have complied with the building permit and SMAAssessment processes.

Aloha, Nancy

>>> kevin bootes 4/17/2009 12:51 PM
    >>> Esteemed boat lovers, The possibility of hauling the old schooner to dry land continues toappear out of the fog of uncertainty. Following is letter to countyplanning division, they seem to be moving toward embracing project.Anthony F called back today, I'll be meeting with him later...

Attached photos show dimensions of travel path and destination, whichnarrows to a 25' bottleneck (for forklift idea of carrying boatsideways) along road to end of Beach Place. If tonnage is manageable bygiant Young Bros forklift, and the forks can swivel enough, and i canget one-day insurance policy, and the straps are set right withspreaders at deck level so as not to squash hull by instead putting mostforce on metal keel below, I think we can pull this off.

I am working onsome small reproductions of boat and strap positioning ideas to firm upthis unique challenge... The measuring rod pvc pipe placed across road is just under 11 feet inattached photos - didn't realize it was not a standard length untilafter began using it as size reference. if forklift can't work, will need crane and long excavator trailer withtruck and cradle to hold boat, and will copy this to D L at MTrucking.

Getting lots of ideas with more experienced yachtsmen at: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/mo...da-1926-40-alden-schooner-26895-new-post.html

letter for sending to planning commission at planningcounty.gov for possible consideration at upcoming meeting here in Kaunakakai on4/22:

Greetings from Kaunakakai - I'm a Molokai resident and boat owner hoping for the blessings of thecity and county with plans being considered to haul out of water andrestore an aging sailboat (1926 schooner VANDA, slip 21 K'kai Harbor) onan out-of-the-way, formerly unmanaged vacant property now underrenovation at #1 Beach Place - TMK (2)5-3-001 if this is correctnumber - located where the street dead-ends at the New Hope RetreatCenter (formerly Pau Hana Restaurant/Inn). I have spoken in person and by phone with Anthony F inthe County office near the police station, and he has told me that aslong as the boat remains a work-in-progress rather than becoming a yard ornament (permanent structure to be lived in), we should encounter noproblems/issues with city/county building codes.

Plans are to haul vessel from harbor to property either by forklift (AlRanis Y Bros) or by truck (D L, MTrucking K'kai) and place behind obscuring hedge which fronts propertyat street boundary, and then plant a matching hedge (Panax, along bamboomarking stick in front yard - see photo) on other side of vessel toobscure view from house. For further concealment, a trench 1 to 2' widthx 4' deep x 25' long parallel to street will be dug to accomodate keel(VANDA draws 6' of water) and hold vessel upright rather than placementhigher above ground on stands. If stands are an option, these may bepreferrable. Photo of myself holding photo of past owner and tracings of vessel idplates also included.

Property neighbors include New Hope to east, a vacation rental to west,ocean to south and abandoned (unused) Molokai Ranch property to north.Steve and M W , own thevacation rental to west of property, and have told me they are happywith anything at all as long as it is an improvement over the appearanceof recent years that attracted 'undesirables' and squatters. The view of proposed site from New Hope, currently being planned tohouse governement health offices, is blocked by a garage/storagebuilding, and house would obscure view from water/beach. Liability insurance coverage for the project (short-term haul andlong-term homeowner liability) is being investigated with Pancho AInsurance in town and Geico, the long-term policy to be held(along with title of vessel) by property owner Tom cell(I cover expense).

Next step may include written agreement between myself, property ownerand County rep - perhaps Mary M, Staff Planner , who is responsible for above-ground issues, her colleague Anthony f for below-ground concerns. If necessary/appropriate, sufficient time may remain for thesequestions to be addressed at the upcoming planning meeting 4/22.

Happy Earth Day to all, and to all a Good Sail! Kevin

Fair thee well, wise sprites of wave and weather

PS ? appropriate methinks to request that webmaster delete this thread perhaps now rendered dead-end / permanently knotted / without raison d'etre... my own requests have not yet been granted...

5. peter radclyffe

new alden schooner

does anybody know how much a new 40-50 ft alden schooner is worth, & does anybody want one

6. kevinbootes

a baiteater bids VANDA farewell on return voyage to Maker

'Anyone know what a 40-50 foot Alden schooner is worth?' I'd say contact Alden Schooner Builders.

'Does anyone want a new one?' If yes, why buy a rotten octagenarian...

Time to dust off my SCUBA certification - we've got ourselves a divesite!!

PS Does anyone want a couple tons of scrap metal?

A used but maybe still-a-little-workable marine engine?

(Note scribbled by previous owner inside cover of service manual by nissan diesel motor company ltd tokyo japan, no date anywhere: 'with wrench 4mm or 1.614in turn engine by pulleynut in front or flywheel in back to see of works turning. Then drain oll with 50/50 mix of light oil and kerosene then turn again to see or feel if turn freely. If not turn, take out engine, it is not easy to get parts for engines like these... please let it go the right way, sire...')

I've got better things to do than change this guys dirty diapers for him after his mysterious disappearance...

do I owe somebody a 5 for changing mine?

Can we delete this thread or save it for the next guy ignoring the stink of his own lumpy mess?

Happy Earth Day to All, and to All a Good Light Air

baiteater

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.