will this work

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by newbie, Feb 11, 2006.

1. newbie

newbie New Member

im new here and this is my first post. i was wandering that since there are cardboard boat races going on these days and the cardboard boats are used multiple times and they are only coated with waterproof paint , i was just wandering if someone could glue cardboard about 4 pieces thick and use that as the core in fiberglass sandwich boats instead of foam .

stupid question i know , but do you think this is possible?

sorry , i put this thread in the wrong section , please move it .

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Well?? according to the experts (Naval architects and other smart arses) probably not! But when you think about it why the hell not? some smart arse NA will tell me all about colour coding and some such other twaddle but it's an idea!

Guess it wouldn't do a lot for the extra bit of bouyancy but with careful application it should just work! Probably worth doing something simple and straight forward first to try it and take it from there!

3. newbie

newbie New Member

thanks for the reply . i only needed one person to respond , now i will move forward with my plan. i will try a simple little boat first . i'll add buoyancy under the seats with glued together blueboard foam . thank you.

4. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

What!!! What Naval Architect told you that you couldn't??? Paper honeycomb has been used sucessfully, and in a small boat, corrugated cardboard would do the job okay. In my experience, it works best if...(yeah, I'm an experimenter too) ...best if you seal the cardboard with lots of light coats of resin without making the cardboard soggy. And you should mould it to the right shape while you're doing this (as opposed to afterwards when it becomes a real pain in the a$$).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.