restoring old mahogany small boat

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by yli nick, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

I am sure the structure is capable of supporting a 20hp outboard. If you want to install foam as a double botom it would have to be shaped and glued down with epoxy, not a work you want to do. For buoyancy just put some EPS foam under the seats.

2. yli nick

yli nick Junior Member

I am thinking to put it sprayed and leveled în order to have some strength on the bottom. Now i am sorry not putting 9 mm bottom plywood. I am stressed from two points of view. The boat îs to narrow 4.3 ft wide, and the bottom îs to thick only 6mm plywood and two layers of 6 Oz, 12 Oz în total fiberglass... And i put it only on the outside. I am thinking that a 20 hp it will be Over powered... Any advice are welcomed.

3. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

If you use spray foam you will be rebuilding the boat very soon, PU spray foam holds water. The only way to do this is using XPS shaped to the stringers and epoxy glued, making absolutely sure there is no woid anywhere.

The bottom is thick enough, if it breaks you can always laminate more plywood on the outside. Just build the interior and go boating, nothing will happen unless you hit a log or sandbank at speed. For flotation take EPS blocks, lightly glass and paint and fix them in unused spaces (under seats, deck, etc.).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.