Fibreglass to Aluminium connection

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by amamini, Jul 29, 2009.

1. amamini

amamini Junior Member

Hi everybody,
    In construction of a high speed Aluminium craft, for some reasons, we decided to design and constructed the superstructure by fibreglass.

The problem for us is the method of connection between Fibreglass and Aluminium in the interface of superstructure and deck.

Are there the rules and regulation for this type of design?

It is pleasure to have your idea in this subject. I need the reference (book or paper)

Thank you for your attention.

regards

Ahmad

2. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

make a flange , upstand aluminium say 75mm high
    make your fibre glass with small gap, then fit over and fill gap with sikaflex
    It is a nice way of building you can then machine screw in ss either tapping the flange, or bolting
    cheers Stu

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Bingo, that's one way, it's not an especially difficult engineering issue. I suspect if you are having issues with this type of transition, then you should hire a professional to work out the scantlings.

4. amamini

amamini Junior Member

Dear Whoosh and PAR,
    Thank you so much for your reply. Your comments were practical. We are in design step and we are going to try study different method in design office. We search the reference that help us to scantling this type of connection. Would you please tell me about the reference correspond to this subject?

Regards

Ahmad

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Depending upon the environment, you should ensure that the difference in strain rates will not cause cracking in hot conditions. Hence you need to select the right type of glues and fillers.

6. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

Look an any composite boat building rules, most give detailed options for gunnel joints. The detail remains the same if one of the parts is aluminium. As mentioned by Ad Hoc, you need to use a fexible adhesive to allow for the different mechical and thermal properties of the parts.

7. Guest62110524

Guest62110524 Previous Member

ok, the joint will be flexible as I said, you should avoid joints glass deck to alloy hull IMO , unless the shelf is wide , how big/small is the boat?
    you can always email myself through my website as a friend did several like this, after the first, it saved a lot of time as building nice houses in alum. is time consuming
    Chris I,m still trying find my rhino nested file, I have millions, it seems, like when we built with paper plans and one was redundant, we biffed it out, , but with pc, they seem to lurk somewhere on the hard drive defying efforts to find them, especially when they are not named:))

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

You also need to decide what type of joint it is. Is the joint "keeping the rain out" or is it "structural". This will also affect how you arrange the detailing.

9. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

Just search your hard drive for *.3dm