layers and weight of glass fabric

Discussion in 'Materials' started by albertd, Jul 9, 2011.

1. albertd

albertd New Member

I ame going to laminate the hull of my boat with epoxy/roving fabring by hand-lay-up. I ame thinking about 1200 g/m2.
    Does this sound like to much or to litle?
    What would be the way to go: 2*600 g/m2, 3*400 g/m2 or 4*300g/m2?
    Thanks for all your answers

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Dunno how big is your boat nor if it's cored or not.. It depends of many different variables. To calculate it you need some sort of scantling rules like in D Gerr's book "The Element's of Boat Strength" or in ISO 12215 standard.
    Biax is best fabric for structural purposes. I'd use 2*600 but thats not an issue me thinks..

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You don't need roving Albert, if employing epoxy. Your laminate schedule seems a difficult layup to say the least, though my mental metric conversion may be off. I'll second the use of knitted fabrics that Teddy suggests. You'll get to the strength requirements faster with less material and effort. Also and again backing up Teddy, you're hull shell laminate schedule, should include an appropriate layering of materials to address the anticipated loading, both local and global. Making a hull shell all one thickness is easy, but will produce a hull that way heavier then need be and this translates directly into more effort and cost to build.

4. Herman

Herman Senior Member

1200 grams will give approx a 1,5mm thick hull (1/16"). We will definately need to know more about the boat, to learn if this is appropiate.

Check your private messages, I have sent you one. (edit: sent you an Email instead of a PM. New users cannot use the PM system yet)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.