First Build

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Alixander Beck, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Alixander Beck

Alixander Beck Junior Member

Hello,

I am new here and I would like to introduce and ask a few questions.

I have a BlueJay (like a wooden CL14) and while big boat sailing is a great time, I still love dinghy sailing the best. I want to add a new boat to the family but something with some really beautiful long racing lines. I have skills with wood and hand tools and have of late been restoring a 125 year old Victorian I bought. I would like to build a boat that was possible with handtools and the least relaince on modern day machines, at least where only neccessary.

I am beginning research for the project as I would like to start next year. I want something in the 4-5 metre range that is from the early part of the 20th century. I saw a picture of an 18' from the 1930's but don't know the design. It was a centreboarder but had a fixed rudder which gave it that long beautiful stern section I love so much.

I was wondering how I even go about finding plans for that style of boat or even the process. Do I find a design I like and then seek the plans or is it the other way around?

I don't know much about that administrative end of a project like this nor am I too familiar with a desgin background of that era and its most prevalent designers. I do know that most everthing done by Herreshoff is absolutely beautiful. I have a desire and a dream and skills with working wood.

I be grateful of any assistance, encouragement and adivce with this project that you all could offer.

Thanks

Alix

2. Steven Bauer

Steven Bauer New Member

Have you looked at the designs of William and John Atkin? Right time period. Lots to choose from: www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/

Maybe something like Teach ---

"Teach
    A 15' 6" Double-Ended V-Bottom Keel Knockabout
    By William & John Atkin
    A Vee Bottom Keel Knockabout
    The design for this month shows a most excellent little sailing boat. It has many characteristics which make it one of my favorite designs. Wrapped up in a trim little unit only 15 feet 6 inches over all. Teach is something more than the usual fair weather cockleshell. From stem to stern, keel to mast truck, this latest of the family is a tiny ship; furthermore an able one."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In an article about the Atkins in WoodenBoat #169, author Daniel MacNaughton had this to say about Teach: "If there is a simple boat that can offer the Herreshoff 12 1/2 some competition for the title of best small keel daysailer, Teach might be it. Her large stern deck gives a secure feeling and helps to ensure that crew weight will be kept amidships where it belongs in such a small boat, and there is a lot of useful space for seating a small crowd or cruising with a boom tent. Her double-ended character is something out of the ordinary, and combined with the long keel, ample ballast, and easily handled rig, she will be a reliable and reassuring boat to sail."

There are lots more, I'm just partial to double enders. :)

Steven

3. byankee

byankee Junior Member