soft wood

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by viking4, Jun 14, 2005.

1. viking4

viking4 New Member

hello, i am new to wooden boats. i actually have never owned a boat of any type before.i just purchased a 1962 cruiser runabout in original condition. can someone please tell me why i did this insanely stupid thing? anyway i have had this beautiful boat for two days and i noticed when i started to strip the paint that there were some soft spots around the bolts holding the planks together.the rest of the wood seems to be in great shape.can anyone help me i would like to have this project finished sometime before i die.

ps. is there an 800 number ican call, it only took two days and i think i am an addict.

2. artemis

artemis Steamboater

BOAT = Bring Over Another Thousand.

Unfortunately you have encountered the "Own a Boat" disease. This has been around for many years - it is part of the larger class sometimes called "I'm Stupid and Want to Throw Away Money". Current attempts by the Center for Disease Control have failed to isolate it due to a lack of understanding; i.e is it a virus; some sort of "spoor" (like dryrot); air born; water born; ... Consequently there appears to be no "cure" in sight. I understand there are "12 step programs" for those afflicted, but as most people who have the disease don't want to be known - even to each other - the meetings are held in unknown locations that have multiple rooms (one for each attendee) and communication systems that scrabble the voice.

The soft spots around the fasteners are probably due to the type (metal) of fastener used. Galvanized metals (and some others) set up a reaction with the wood which destroys its strength. Bronze is the only way to go, but you may not be able to use the same fastener holes. I'm sure some others will help you pinpoint this.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the foolishness we all suffer from. Yes, it was "insanely stupid" of you to buy this boat, but we need folks like you so others can feed their kids. Aside from shooting yourself in the head (this is highly frowned on, because afterwards you can't sign checks) though it may provide the relive your going to be in need of sometimes, in your efforts on this boat.

Artemis used the line I would have tossed at you (BOAT) and it's likely that you have "fastener sickness" (yes, more illness to deal with) which he alluded to. This can be caused by fastener material type (typically), age, working (getting loose and being yanked to and fro in their holes as the boat is underway) You'll also likely find other issues that may work themselves into the mix as you get farther into the inspection and restoration.

It's nice to find original boats, finding them unmolested (not living at or visiting "NeverNeverLand Ranch" for example) is rare, but old boats with low hour usage also can have difficulties all their own. Since this is all new to you, it may be wise to have a boat carpenter come over (or take it to him) for a look see. If the boat is of any real size (say over 24') then a good surveyor is in order. These folks will know the things to look for (where to find them) and can offer a plan of attack in regard to repairs and restoration to a safe, serviceable rebirth.

You can quickly get in way over your head, without realizing it (your wife will) Costs can climb at an alarming rate (trust me, the wife will let you know, she's not as sick as you yet) and the project can spiral out of control without a good idea of where you want to go, how you'll get there and when to know if you will get there. The advice of a surveyor will pay for itself very quickly. You may also want to arm yourself with a few of the many books available on the industry. These will be defined by the boat construction type (lap strake, carvel, molded, batten seam, etc.) possibly the builder (Chris Craft, Owens, etc.) and can also be refined a bit with subjects such as paint/varnish, general wood working, steam bending, etc. Your selection can be application specific or overall general info, but most you'll find, will pay for themselves the first time you don't have to re-do your fourth attempt at splying a plank. These books can also make you aware of some of the dangers (boogie monsters living in the bilge, etc.) in materials used in the original construction, like asbestos and lead paints, plus the toxic nature of some of the replacement stuff you'll be working with too.

Well she said it was a can of worms and you opened it anyway. Some of use learn harder then others. One other tip, a big one, find a nice comfy chair. Make it a recliner and put a small end table next to it. The table should be at hands reach, shouldn't drop your beer if you place it down hard (you will) and the chair should be positioned so the whole of the boat is in full view, while sitting in it (usually cussing and wishing you had more beer) This is the "Moaning Chair" you'll find you're in it more then you'd like to admit (boat builders and restorers lie like crazy about this) Personally I've never owned or had need for such a chair, having always measured twice and cut once, but it is tradition, and you be best served not pissing off the boat gods in the beginning of the project. What do you have by the way? A 1962 what . . . pictures . . .

4. chandler

chandler Senior Member

C'mon Par,only cut once????

5. viking4

viking4 New Member

cruiser

the monkey on my back is a 16' 1962 cruiser runabout.it still has original paint,canvas covers,and all the chrome. it was in dry storage for about 15 or 16 years. most of the soft spots are hardening in the sun. i paid $550.00 for it with trailer and delivery. i think i got a good deal as it seemed that will float. but being as my great grandfather and all the men in my family before him were great ship builders in norway,i blame genetics for all this foolishness.
    viking4

6. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Hardening in the sun does NOT sound encouraging

Steve

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Honest, Chandler, only cut once (and will not admit to any extra) I have a big, fat old "Lazyboy" that I regularly sit and cuss in. It has dents custom formed (much work involved) to my cheeks and the table has never dropped a beer, though I've been known to blame someone else for it, from time to time.

That's lovely, Viking4, but what is it? Lap strake, carvel, plywood, built by who . . .? You should easily get $550 out of the trailer if all else fails. I tried the genetics line once ( I was born on a boat and raised on an island) but then I was reminded of the brain I was supposed to have and pawning off blame and all that. Since, I've owned up to my foolishness and accepted blame for my actions ( the 12 step program was a big help in this area as was the electro shock therapy a few years back) I now freely admit to being the boneheaded asswipe everyone says I am.

There should be a "PA" number on the bow (state registration number) and the title should have the builder and model on it. The registration number should get you as much as was or is available to the state it's registered, in terms of builder, model, etc. The title may be of some help, but are notoriously inaccurate. There may also be a builders plate somewhere on the boat, which will help with identifying the craft. Most builders are a proud bunch of cusses and put on plates to show off their handy work, see if you can find it. I use etched glass builder's plates on my work, but I'm admittedly strange. Most will be bronze, chromed steel or brass, maybe even carved into a structural member, like the keel.