Restoring a wooden sailboat.

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by colpittsdragon, May 28, 2008.

1. colpittsdragon

colpittsdragon New Member

My father and I acquired a carvel-built wooden sailboat, not sure of the wood used. Due to a number a factors (weather exposure, and ineptitude of the former owner) the coating of urethane/varnish (not sure which) is peeling off. Now we're about to set to the task of stripping and refinishing her, and I have a couple of questions. I hope someone can answer them.

1: What sort of finish would be proper to use on a boat of this sort? Urethane? Varnish? Or something I'm not aware of, perhaps.

2: Is there a particular type of stripper we should be using?

2. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Hi am also restoring a old boat . Try www.rotdoctor.com.I have a feeling you will get more response from them than here.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

If your boat was properly finished, the finish is varnish at least with a 99% likelihood.
    Not sure what size it is and maybe it doesn't matter, but you might add some more detailed information and a picture if you can.
    Normally, the hull is painted, as the upkeep of varnish is extreme to say the least.
    So I assume only the deck has varnished pieces.
    Use a good (not the cheapest) paint stripper like Zip Strip from Home Depot, etc..
    What size is your boat, what make or type, how is the boat structurally, is there rot, etc., etc..

Alan

4. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Hi Alan. My Sailbaot is a 33ft Estlander buitl in 1933 (much debate about this) I have posted pics under Projects in progress. I will be moving her home in two weeks. She is seaworthy but in need of some remedial work. The previous owner used all sorts of junk to plug leaks and painted her with "house paint".

5. Meanz Beanz

Meanz Beanz Boom Doom Gloom Boom

In my experience the single pot polyurethane varnishes flake off more in chunks, they give better life but when they fail they are best removed before repainting. If your heart is set on varnish I think that oil based is the best way to go, it dose not last quite as long but is easily maintainable, a light sand and a top up coat and you are on your way. If it's poly and its breaking down then it is a bigger job.

I'm not sure about strippers, all I ever used is the standard run of the mill stuff with no real dramas.

I have done masts in Intergrain 2000, its water based high UV resistant stuff. You will not get a varnish finish of it but its a good option on things like masts and cabin sides if you can't deal with the demands of varnish every six months or so (depending on the sun where you are).

Cheers
    MBz

6. Meanz Beanz

I knew a British Paints chemist once, she said that the stuff in the premium enamel cans was the same as the marine lines.... only they charged less for it. :D I've seen house paint used with great success on boats in the past, its not all bad!

7. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Sailboat Paint

Hi Meanz Yup seen a lot of wierd paint jobs but in this case PVA was used a horrible red/pink stuff .Inside gloss enamel about 2mm thick.

8. Meanz Beanz

9. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Sailboat Paint

Have a look at this and tell me the previous owner was sane

Attached Files:

10. Meanz Beanz

Poly spray foam?

11. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Yup Probebly used 3 0r 4 cans different colours. best of all have a look at the bow sprit arrangement

Attached Files:

12. Meanz Beanz

You are a brave man! :D I hope you got her cheap!

13. Butch .H

Butch .H Senior Member

Yes got her for a song. Huge debate as to who designed her. The owner claims it to be a Estlander. A more literate member of the yacht club claims she is a S&S. I dont realy care as there is huge potential very little rot and dammage is confined to the coach roof. Going to replace anyway .Aft cabin was added in the 1950's ?

Attached Files:

14. Meanz Beanz

Back that shot up a bit, some one here might recognise it. Better not hijack this thread to much... post a new one.

15. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Butch
    nice one buddy
    go for it

keep on posting as many pics you can, the guys here are very helpfull and you can tap into a moutain of excellent info

cheers