First wooden boat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Ov10fac, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Ov10fac

Ov10fac Junior Member

This is my first post and I think I may be in trouble.

So I saw this 1958 Delta 16 with a Merc mark75 on Craigslist. Ad said best offer so I offered $200. Ever heard the old expression " Be careful what you wish for..." Well, he emailed me today that it's mine. Been in a garage for a lot of years, so wheels are probably shot. That means a tow truck back to home.

Now I can't find anything about Delta boats except yachts. So, anyone know anything about them. I'm thinking a restoration project and maybe in the water next spring. But I haven't done any boating in years and nothing with wooden boats since 1952 with my Dad. I have probably bitten off more than I can chew, especially with the motor.

So, any words of wisdom?

Thanks

John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

4. Ov10fac

Ov10fac Junior Member

Ike and Par,

Many thanks. Appreciate the information.

5. Ov10fac

Ov10fac Junior Member

Mark 75 Weight

So, I pick it up this weekend. Hasn't moved in many years, been in a garage. So I expect I'll need to repack bearings and really inspect the wheels before I put it on the road. I only have to go about 40 miles.

But what I really am curious about is the weight of the motor. I'd like to remove it and move it into my shop to work on it this winter. So anyone have a guess as to what a Mercury Mark 75 might weigh?

Thanks.

6. PAR

About 190 pounds. Given the boats age and condition, you'd be well advised to remove the engine before transport. Testing the fasteners and general integrity of the transom and surrounding framing isn't a good way to find out about things.

7. Petros

Petros Senior Member

the licence shows '77 registration? almost 40 years in storage? does not look bad for something that has not been used in that long. it is far better than most project boats we see on this forum.

do not be intimidated, it is more time and labor, than skill, when it comes to restoring a boat. do not look at the whole project at once, but take it one step at a time. once you are at a certain point, even if not completely done, you can take it out and enjoy it on the water, to keep your motivation up.

It is not too large a boat, so it will be a lot easier to restore than larger more complicated projects we see here.

8. Ov10fac

Ov10fac Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks for the information and words of encouragement. I have someone with a tilt bed tow truck who will pick it up and deliver it to the house for $150. Think it's worth that, otherwise I would need to put new rubber on it and repack the bearings before I tried to move it.

Thanks for the warning about removing the motor. Should I do that if I'm haveing it hauled on a truck?

I'm really getting excited to see it and get it home. My Dad had one like it in the early 50s, so should be fun. My Grandkids have all said they want to help. Should be a fun project.

9. PAR

Yes,, especially if hauling on a truck. Just unbolt it and lay it down next to the boat.

10. Ov10fac

Ov10fac Junior Member

Hmmm,

At 190 lbs that's going to be a trick. Will need two men and a boy.

11. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Should be a great project if she's been dry stored. Good luck and enjoy!

12. PAR

190 pounds isn't that heavy and a healthy, normal size guy can easily lift it 6" and move it back a few, just to let it down on it's skeg. It's not something you want to do several times an hour, for an 8 hour shift, but a one shot deal . . .

13. Ov10fac

Ov10fac Junior Member

Hmm

Well at 70 I may not qualify as a normal healthy guy. I can still manage 100 pretty well, but 190 might be a little too much. Guess I'll have to bring another 70 year old to help ;-).

So, as I recall from a previous motor, there are several connections that need to be disconnected. Steering, electric and throttle. Anyone have experience removing them from a Mark 75?

Thanks again for advice and encouragement.

14. PAR

Most outboards are the same, though fastener type and arrangements may differ a bit. yep, the bracket bolts are obvious enough, but the electrical umbilical, the throttle and shift cables, fuel lines, etc. will all need to get disconnected. It shouldn't take long, the hard part will be the pronounced grunting, come time to lift.

15. Ov10fac

Ov10fac Junior Member

Amen to that. But might not be too bad. I have a friend who might go. If not have a chain fall and I can build an a-frame to lift it off. An interesting engineering challenge.