mini 650 rebuild

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by j.harkin, Jul 20, 2011.

1. j.harkin

j.harkin New Member

hi guys, new here but have been following the site for a while. im a 16yr old apprentice boatbuilder from new zealand and i managed to get myself the hull and decks for a mini. she's the first one built in nz but the french changed the rules half way through the build so the boat no longer complys. she's just over 3100mm wide and has a maximum freeboard of about 720. the hull is still very nice, e glass skin, 1mm baltic pine, 10mm australian end grain balsa, 1mm baltic pine then more e glass. rock solid even after sitting outside for 18 years. ring frames are kevlar, glass DB and carbon unis over closed cell foam. deck is 10mm ply with 10mm balsa cabin top. she will be canting keel with single canard and canting retracting prod. as you probably guessed by my age, i have f**k all money so she will be done on the extreme cheap!! nothing more exotic than ply and glass. i have made a bit more progress than shown in the pictures (well, dad has done most of it) the bulkheads are cut down to size, and we have started putting the cockpit in. you can follow the full build here http://crew.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16265

Attached Files:

2. Nurb

Nurb Junior Member

You'll learn more on a tight budget than if you had all the money in the world to throw at it. Nice project boat to sink your teeth into.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.