Restoring 79 beachcraft w/ 305 mercruiser

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by jaybot, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jaybot

jaybot New Member

I'm brand new to this forum and am seeking some advice; I have a 79 beachcraft cuddy that was not winterized through a fairly cold winter (-12C).
    I will be putting a new canvas on the boat to doll it up a little maybe a paint job, but I am wondering what I should check in terms of what might be cracked in the engine. Any advice on this undertaking would be appreciated
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

well if all the water was drained out of it then why should anything be cracked?? Drop the leg and check/replace the water pump impeller . remove plugs and put a little oil in the cylinder ..about 5 ml and turn it over by hand if possible with the plugs out . Put plugs in and pump up the fuel and crank it over ...dont forget the water to the ear muffs and see how it goes .....good luck

3. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

I dont see where you say the block was drained?
    could be trouble???
    Have a look around at the block under the manifolds you might find the core plugs pushed out or worse.

(I've even seen photos of lower units cracked with the water just sitting in the housing as the drive was left tilted.)

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

GM blocks usually crack when they freeze. Look for cracks on the sides between the freeze plugs. That is behind where the motor mounts are bolted to.

5. dand0_4

dand0_4 Junior Member

As said above, Gm blocks crack most of the time when they freeze. Also exhuast manifolds and outdrives if they had enough water left in them. You may be looking at a total replacement. But if enough water drained out you may get lucky. All you can do is check.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.