Restore and repaint aluminum jon boat classic

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by swamproach, Jul 5, 2004.

1. swamproach

swamproach New Member

All,

I've just bought a classic old Arkansas traveler 1961 14' Angler model Jon boat. It has been repainted several times. This boat is such a classic I would like to strip the paint and restore it. Never doing this before is it worth it?? How hard is it to strip the paint, prep and repaint an aluminum Jon or should I be happy just to get the boat for $200 and fish? Also, the drain plug is a bit larger than the standard 1 inch plug that I can find, it has about a 1 inch inner diameter, any suggestions of this also would be appreciated.

Here's a pic of it....

Thanks,

Bill

Attached Files:

2. swamproach

swamproach New Member

Well I found a 1 1/4" drain plug at west marine that should work. Any takers on the previous painting question :?:

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They make a paint stripper for aviation use. It doesn't corrode aluminum. Check your local paint supplier or maybe the airport service shop.

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I stripped aluminum the old fashioned way, with a sander. Just don't get to onry with it, and move from one spot to another frequently to avoid heat buildup and warpage. Paint comes off aluminum pretty easily. Whereabouts in TX are ya?

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The problem with sanding is that it also removes metal weakening the boat. It is specially problematic at the rivet heads.

6. swamproach

swamproach New Member

Thanks gents, I'll keep pondering the task before I get myself into it, I could end up starting in on this and saying to myself.... 'now why the hell am I doing this again'. I'm in Plano Corpus Skipper.

7. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Ah so. It was a welded boat I GENTLY sanded. Didn't think about rivets. I will now withdraw to my cave and repent. :D

8. M2265

M2265 New Member

I bought an 1969 Arkansas Traveler just like yours last year. You certainly can rebuild it for less than $200.00 if you shop around for materials. With the exception of the $500.00 I paid for the boat, trl and trolling motor and the $546.00 I spent on a 2.5 hp Mercury motor I'd say about $200.00 was spent on my project. Good luck!