Restoration

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by grt05, Jan 27, 2004.

1. grt05

grt05 New Member

Hello

I'm new to this forum so please bare with me. I am very interested in wooden boats, Chris-Crafts to be exact. I would think restoring a Chris-Craft would be a great project for my dad and I. My question is this, how difficult would it be for someone who has never done a boat restoration? We are both very mechanical and have restored cars before. I would like to restore one that is not in too terrible of shape.

Is this something we can do?

Thank you for your time.

2. briany

briany Junior Member

Why not start with something small cheap and easy?
    So many projects kick off with great enthusiasm and petter out.
    Ask yourself "Do I want to be on the water in weeks? or "Are we going to be happy work away for months (or even years) it takes dedication.
    Briany

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I have a 1960 27' Chris Craft Sea Skiff in my yard now for some work. The owner is looking to sell this boat rather then the money to repair. If you drop me an email I'll give you more details.

It's got a sound hull, good planking, original 283 and trans (both running, though the engine is weak, but easily repairable without a rebuild) New instrumentation, mooring cover, bimini. This is the convertible not the ugly hardtop of that year. It has a V berth, head & wet bar though they've been removed and are in storage. The bright work needs redoing, the deck is showing signs of the canvas needing renewal, all the hardware needs rebedding, some of this is new or rechromed.

She rides like a '53 Buick and a good sea boat, if driven intelligently. It would come with a very nice aluminum tandem trailer. The price is very low for her breed and would make a good investment, if looking to fix and sell or a great boat for blasting around lakes and rivers.

The Sea Skiff is well known and loved by the CC crowd and she's a good example of one. Chris Craft has a good reputation and has built some fine boats over the years. The fact this 45 year old boat (built in 1959 and sold as a 1960) has her original planking in good condition should give you an idea of the quality built into the breed and the care this one has had.

4. briany

briany Junior Member

sorry PAR I would not wish to do you out of a sale
    Briany

5. pungolee

pungolee Senior Member

Chris craft

"One that is not in too terrible of shape" will cost plenty(unless its one of the Chris kit boats)
    "One thats in terrible shape"may cost the same.These boats are on a scale of 8 as far as difficulty to restore.A plywood runabout would be a 4.A lapstrake Skiff would or could be a ten.I wouldn't start on a Chris as a first restoration unless I was willing to read everything related to the subject,twice.You can't half-*** these boats,they won't hold up for long when you are through and you won't be able to sell them, no serious collector wants a amateur hacked-over job.Instead, look for a boat that means something to your father, perhaps one a relative had or one he remembers as a youth, it will make all the difference in seeing the project to completion.