Restoration vs New build

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by bigbowen, Apr 15, 2011.

1. bigbowen

bigbowen Junior Member

Hi,
    Im a very amateur builder designer,

I would like your opinions here, I have been given a classic style outboard speed boat,(to renovate) On closer inspection there does seem to be a lot wrong with it, in terms of damp hull plywood, rotten stringers, beams need replacing etc,
    As I have a low budget to throw at the project Im on the verge of chucking the boat and starting from scratch on a new build at some point in the future.

My question is,
    Do renovations generally require more work/effort than a new build.

Im aware that any renovation depends upon how bad the boat has actually got, but is there a point when a renovation becomes of questionable worth compared to building from scratch?

I apologise that its a very subjective question here but Im just looking for experiences, ideas etc,
    Any answers would be very welcome,
    Thanks
    Sam

2. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

Renovation always takes more time, as you have to first take the project apart to even see what has to be done as repairs. For your depiction it sounds that there would not be much left of the original hull once repaired.

Btw, I hate renovation so I might be a bit biased on this, but if the model is good, take it apart and build a replica using the old hull as a template.

Lurvio

3. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

From your description it sounds like the hull is shot, so yeah, better to haul it to the dump and start fresh.

4. Madcat

Madcat Junior Member

If the hull isn't solid I would count it as a loss. You can do amazing things with a restoration, but I wouldn't put my hard earned cash and elbow grease into a hull that might not survive.

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The question doesn't have enough back ground to support a reasonable reply. As a rule, repairs are much cheaper then a new build. Renovation is a different animal, typically bringing an old girl make to near factory condition, possibly better then. This often requires more effort, mostly because you have to strip finishes, glue, fasteners and boat pieces, then refurbish, repair, refinish and reassemble. This requires more effort and materials, so costs more.

On the other hand and the point of my post, is without a complete assessment of the structure, it's problems and your abilities to restore them, any answer is just folly.

Provide more information about the boat's structure and general condition, so that a reasonable assessment can be made, pictures would be very helpful. In reality, only an on site evaluation can determine if the hull is worth saving. This is a difficult decision for the novice builder, as they don't have the experience to draw the line dividing the difference between rebuildable and land fill fodder.

6. bigbowen

bigbowen Junior Member

PAR.

I do appreciate that my question was VERY open and lacked detail, however you have inadvertantly given me all the information I was looking for, which I am extremely grateful for, The boat itself is very down at heel, the hull is very damp in patches, its coming away from crossbeams, all the upholstry needs replacing, The ply itself on the hull and decking is in a questionable condition, which to my mind raises the possibility of even being able to bring it back to mint condition anyway. It seems to me that (its a ply on frame hull) the frame appears to be in good (?) condition, So bearing in mind my experience and ability I am tempted now to take the boat back to frame, and hibernate the project untill some time in the future when I am better equipt/able to do the boat justice.
    I apologise that the question was open (deliberately so, so I am tempted to :p :p ) in all seriousness I am very grateful for everyones experience and advice here. It confirms in my mind what I had expected.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.