Generic Advice For New Boat Designs and Designers

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rwatson, Sep 14, 2014.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

This Thread might possibly be helpful for New Designers discussing design concepts. Below are a few recent 'Standard' suggestions that get repeated over and over again.

If we add extra 'good advice' as Posts, this thread will be near the top of the List, and maybe new Posters can review the Generic Advice to increase the value of their contributions. It may also be useful to refer some OP's to this thread to save a lot of re-typing.

===============================================
    List of threads that these come from, to review their context

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/best-breadth-height-boat-51400.html

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/scantlings-midship-container-vessel-51420.html

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/bo...ew-build-opinions-advice-requested-51380.html

2. JSL

JSL Senior Member

One piece of advice I give is to get as much experience around boats as you can.... Even if it is washing and maintaining them. It will help you avoid creating what some call an 'Architects Dream'.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

fantastic advice. The secondary effect is getting familiar with shapes/sizes that actually work

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/electric-hull-designs-19444.html

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

For new canoe designers

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/canoe-design-suggestions-canoe-design-51435.html

6. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Getting back to the topic of generic advice. When you are working in any industry it is important to learn the terminology.The marine industry and boats are no exception. Pointy end, blunt end, that flat 'thingy' underneath (rudder?) might confuse some people. In most cases it can be humorous but with others it could be a safety issue.
    One of my favorites was a fellow who called me about the term 'lay in' used by the designer on the plans of the boat he was building. I told him it would be difficult to "lay in" supplies before the boat was finished. I thought I might know what it meant but the builder called the designer anyway who explained/described what 'lay-in' was: essentially....tumblehome!

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

For Dinghy Designs

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/my-first-boat-51495.html

8. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

While not specific to boats I once got some very reasonable sounding advice that applies to most anything able to be done: whatever you think are going to be the cost for acquiring (or building) something, and it's cost of upkeep, it may be good to be able to spend at a bare minimum 150%, and likely more still, than that without putting yourself in a bind.

9. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Advices for novel boat designers:

1. Start from designing small boat. Don't jump into superyacht size.

2. If You can't make complete design of small boat yourself, don't touch yacht design at all! Yacht designer should know something about performance predictions, seakeeping, scantlings and systems, and also about boat construction and operation, not just another 'revolutionary styling' and making 'edgy images'.

3. Concept design is not just a set of pictures, but also basic calculations showing its feasibility and data for cost evaluation. I say that concept answers the questions 'how the boat will look?', 'is she feasible?' and 'what is the idea of cost?'. 'Concept' consisting of pictures only has no value.

4. Yes, and please, when You draw the boat, bow should point to the right!

10. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I think one of the most common mistakes of amateur (and new) designers is trying to cram too much "stuff" into the hull of a boat. I have made that mistake and should have known better. Often bulkheads, seats, berths and cabinets project through the hull and would take a lot of trimming to fit. Make sure it all fits.

11. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

No machine that goes "ping!"?

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

13. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

I wonder how the old time Fijians ever managed to make the gringos jaws drop with the performance of the ndruas?! I am pretty sure they had no concept of calculations showing feasibility. All it takes is for one fellow to have the mental strength to go "I wonder" and the commitment to try it and see what happens. And a taste for the folks on the next island :D

...... So, some slimey fisho wakes up with some thots of making something that might go a treat on the water. He feels like validating it somewhat before spending some hard earned to give it a go. Googles up what he can put into words, comes across some hits to some mod called boatdesign.net. Gets on there to ask the fellas what if he did so and so in such a way, might that work?

Ooops, google didnt bring up that list of the boats life story including the name of the cat and who the bird next door is fooling around with :/ Unlucky bas@$%, he forgot to have the bow to the right in the sketch :p

Maybe a board on here for the hobbyists and enthusiasts and dreamers might be handy for those who dont really need to face the wrath of the professionals :/

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Dont you worry mate - it took 10+ years to qualify as a steersman for the big canoes that crossed oceans. Anything made of one big log was worth a lot of coconut palms and pigs.

For the little close coast and general fishing operations, it was a lifetime of practice and days on the water in all weathers.

There's no 'wrath' in here, just the least painful (emotionally, financially and physically) way to get out on the water safely.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

15. Alik

Alik Senior Member

This might work if one is building traditional craft and learn from experience, from boat to boat. Yes, some of such shipwrights have probably sunk on their boats; but does this matter? :D

Today, the average novice boat designer with zero experiences but 3D skills will just take the software and start creating something that he thinks is 'out of the box'. And one launched, the creation will demonstrate unpredictable behaviour, in 99% into the worst side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.