Restauration Philip Rhodes 1970 Design

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by D'ARTOIS, Jan 16, 2005.

1. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Somebody called me that he saw on a backyard a beautiful Philip Rhodes Ketch from about 1965/70 Probably one of his last designs. Its not a small one: sizes are 16.50 x 4.00 x 2.30. Its an extremely beautiful design, ketchrigged, S-keel,
    hull seems to be inreasonable condition, interior is almost gone, engine is gone,
    Rigging seems to be ok.
    I haven't seen the boat except on a digi photo. Tomorrow we will start negotiations with the owner as the boat is for sale. She goes for little and therefore we would like to try to save her.
    Now my questions: All designs are in Mystic Seaport - that's what I found out. Philip Rhodes died in 1970 and left his work to this museum. Hopefully they have the designs of this boat. Even her name is (yet) unknown.

I have been reading a little about this remarkable designer an artist similar to Alden, Olin Stehpens etc.

How do I get more info about her and did Rhodes design ketches.

Does somebody know what kind of woods were used or recommendated?

2. B. Hamm

B. Hamm Junior Member

Like most designers Phil Rhodes didn't build boats, he just designed them, they were built by many yards. You'll need to know more about the boat to figure out who built her and what the materials are.

Bill H.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Rhodes donated his design archives to Mistic http://www.mysticseaport.org/research/ru-spguide.htm (telephone: 860-572-5360) and are available inexpensively plus shipping and handling. Much information about Rhodes' designs is available in Richard Henderson's book Philip L. Rhodes and his Yacht Designs, Camden: International Marine Publishing Co, 1981, with additional printings by International Marine/McGraw Hill in 1993.

His drawings are noted for their fine level of detail and craftsmanship. One of the true artists.

The hull number should be found on a main structural member inside the boat, on the keel, heavy deck beam at the partners, collision bulkheads are typical places to find this number. It can be used to find it in the Wooden Boat Registry if it was included there or to track down previous owners, states or countries of registration, during the life of the yacht.

Good Luck Brien.

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Hello Paul,

Yes, this thing came fully unexpected. One of my colleagues was in Hamburg and he was driving down to find a hotel to spend the night and next morning he saw this poor deserted boat lynig ashore in a most deplorable condition. I' ll go tomorrow to Germany to see the boat, afterwards I am going to the show in Dusseldorf. The problem might be how to get the boat here. Engine is finitos, and she might to big to do transport by road.

Thanks a lot for the advise how to find her hull number. For me very important.
    I will find out more when I am on location.

In a few weeks time I will be in the states, I have to be on the Miami boatshow, I might have a possibility to get a car and see you in Eustis. Keep you posted,
    and again thanks for your advise.

Regards,
    Brien

5. pv140

pv140 New Member

There is a very good website that is dedicated to Philip Rhodes and his designs by Ben Stavis located at http://astro.temple.edu/%7Ebstavis/pr/rhodes.htm Some additional info is available at http://www.pearsonvanguard.homestead.com/files/philipl.htm Philip Rhodes is being honored as an
    initial inductee (along with Olin Stephens) into the North American Boat
    Designers Hall of Fame. The ceremony will take place in Miami, Thursday,
    Feb. 17, 5:30 PM. You can get more information from the Westlawn Institute which is
    sponsoring the event (along with some other organization). Email:
    westlawn@abycinc.org
    www.pearsonvanguard.org webmaster Fred Fuller

6. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

I was on the site of Ben. Exellent - thanks a lot. I don't need that much technical help, but I want to complete the history of the boat.
    Thanks again for your help.

7. CDH

CDH New Member

Hello

Hi all,

I just registered, found this board looking for news about the induction of Phil Rhodes into the The Westlawn Institute of MarineTechnology's Hall of Fame in Miami on 2/17/2005. Phil was my grandfather and I thought I might offer some answers (if I can) to any questions.

I have a very good understanding of his personal history (obviously) and a somewhat less comprehensive knowledge of his design history. I do however own a copy of the Richard Henderson book (I understand they are hard to come by) which has a great deal of information.

I of course am biased but I love his designs, I can always spot them from afar, I think it's the very distinctive sheer lines he drew, lovely.

That's it, you may email or post questions and hopefully I can answer some of them.

Yes, Phil designed many ketches, looking at the Henderson book, there are several possibilities. The last design listed is a 42' LWL wood ketch for Donal Dalziel of Berkley, California built by Lester Stone yard - 1970. Let me know any more details and I can look further.

Doug H.

Picture is one of many the family has.......Phil and Mary Rhodes at minesweeper christening

Attached Files:

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

CDH, you're not the only one who has enjoyed his sweetly drawn sheers . . .

9. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Hello Doug, here is the boat in question - she still is in Germany till she can transported to Holland - her engine and ruddergear are disfunctional; the deck and cabintop needs to be renewed as well as rigging and many other small things; total costs of restoration US$ 150,000,--
    The boat you can find under thread: ..3 captains, one crew I cannot upload it two times, but I would like to hear your comments.

10. CDH

CDH New Member

PLR Ketch

you can create a LINK to the photo

She's a beauty, still looking for information. I emailed my friend at IYRS in Newport asking if he could shed any light. I'll post anything I find out.

11. CDH

CDH New Member

more speculation

here is a reply from another Rhodes aficionado

I can't be sure about the boat in the photo. I can't tell if it has a reverse transom; if so, maybe it is a later McCurdy/Rhodes revision of an earlier design. Also, I think that generally, Rhodes did not strive to keep the mizzen boom inboard for a permanent backstay. He seemed comfortable with aft lowers and runners. Maybe the stem is a little straighter than a classic Rhodes design.

On the other hand, I can't be certain if the structure at the back side of the cabin top is a canvas dodger or a wooden deck house. If the latter, it seems squarish, more in the early Rhodes style.

In terms of size, the closest to these dimensions are 499, 601 and 688, but none of these is exactly the same. It is possible to imagine she is an adaptation of design 499 and classified as a sistership rather than a new design, but she would be a large adaptation of that design (deeper keel instead of centerboard -- an adaptation Rhodes made to Thunderhead -- and a very different deck and interior.

Bottom line -- I would not be surprised if she is a McCurdy/Rhodes design.

These identifications are difficult because often the dimensions people send are not accurate

12. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

I have some more photo's to add - forget that bthe boat is a total mess, she came in the wrong hands, the doghouse is a later and very badly made addition.

Attached Files:

13. CDH

CDH New Member

Yikes! Such a shame but that is how it goes sometimes. Look at what a mess Carina is at the Intl. Yacht Restoration School in Newport. BUT...IYRS is the best place for her and hopefully in the next year or so she will be fully restored, their work is not to be believed, a terrific organization.

http://www.iyrs.org/

I will forward these pics to my friend there, he is so busy right now I have not heard back from him on this ketch.

Attached Files:

14. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Yeah, you can say that. I reckon to have her two years from now in the water and than I'll see what to do next......Keep me posted - thanks!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.